Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert[_7_] Robert[_7_] is offline

Default How to stop Word from breaking words across lines?

I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in this
document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right margin
regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding hyphenation
marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or most
of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next line.

I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option similar
to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines how
Word breaks words across lines?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Robert
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to stop Word from breaking words across lines?

Hi Robert,

I understand your frustration with Word breaking words across lines in your custom-sized document. Fortunately, there is an option in Word that can help you keep all characters in a word together.

Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Select the text that you want to modify.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section to open the Paragraph dialog box.
  4. Click on the "Line and Page Breaks" tab.
  5. Check the box next to "Don't hyphenate" under the "Hyphenation" section.
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This will prevent Word from breaking words across lines and will keep all characters in a word together. However, keep in mind that this may cause some words to extend beyond the right margin of your document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like a
symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no solution
but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert[_7_] Robert[_7_] is offline

Yeah, I kinda figured something like that was at play. But, I wanted to check
to make sure. Fortunately, there are other cursive fonts I can use. BTW, is
there any way to correct the "miscoding" of the Betsy font to make it
function like a normal font?

-Robert

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have a font editor such as Fontographer, presumably you can do it,
but I don't actually know anything about that.

http://word.mvps.org