Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phil Phil is offline

Default How do I insert: A {a symbol (member of)} B

I'm try to write an equation where A is a "subset" of „¦ using the horizontal
member with an equals line under it.

I've look at math symbols and Word 2007 equation writer, but I don't see the
symbol.

Is there one?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert: A {a symbol (member of)} B

Yes, there is a symbol for "subset" in Microsoft Word. Here's how you can insert it:
  1. Open a new or existing Word document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu.
  3. Click on the "Equation" button in the "Symbols" section.
  4. In the Equation Editor, click on the "Subset" button in the "Math Symbols" section.
  5. You should see the symbol for "subset" appear in the Equation Editor.
  6. Type "A" to the left of the symbol and "B" to the right of the symbol.
  7. If you want to add the equals line under the symbol, click on the "Accent" button in the "Structures" section of the Equation Editor.
  8. Click on the "Horizontal Line" option to add the equals line under the symbol.
  9. You should now have the equation "A Š† B" with the equals line under the subset symbol.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you looking for Unicode 2286, "subset or equal to"? (I don't know
what you mean by "horizontal member.") Type 2286 on the regular
keyboard, then Alt-X.

Cambria Math, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans, and Lucida Sans Unicode
are fonts that include that character.

On Jan 27, 11:52Â*am, Phil wrote:
I'm try to write an equation where A is a "subset" of „¦ using the horizontal
member with an equals line under it.

I've look at math symbols and Word 2007 equation writer, but I don't see the
symbol.

Is there one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you're using the equation writer (Alt+=), this character has a Math
AutoCorrect shortcut. Type \subseteq and then press the spacebar.

In regular text, you have two possibilities. One is to go to Office button
Word Options Proofing AutoCorrect Options Math AutoCorrect, and check
the box to use Math AutoCorrect in regular text; then use the \subseteq
shortcut.

The other way is to type the number 2286 and then press Alt+X. The way to
find this and similar symbols is to click Insert Symbol More Symbols to
open the dialog; set the font to Cambria Math; set the Subset to
Mathematical Operators; and scroll through the display. When you find the
character you want, you can click it and click the Insert button, or you can
note the shortcut key (or set a different one), or you can add an
AutoCorrect entry to insert it.

Besides Cambria Math, you'll find this character in Arial Unicode MS and in
Lucida Sans Unicode.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Phil wrote:
I'm try to write an equation where A is a "subset" of ? using the
horizontal member with an equals line under it.

I've look at math symbols and Word 2007 equation writer, but I don't
see the symbol.

Is there one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

One way to find the answer quickly for almost any character is to first get
the Unicode character value. I searched Google for "Unicode subset of
character" and found that the Unicode Character 'SUBSET OF' is U+2282.
Type the number (without the U+) in the text, then press Alt+x.

Or, in the symbol dialog, choose one of the fonts that has lots of Unicode
characters (for example, Cambria math, Arial Unicode, or Lucida Sans Unicode).
Type the number into the character code box. Then double click the
highlighted character to insert it into the text.

If I don't know the name of the character I visually search the symbol
dialog with Arial Unicode as the font.

HTH,
Pam