Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lobo Lobo is offline

Default How to stop automatic second line indent?

I'm trying to write a simple letter in Word 2007. Word automatically
inmdents when wrapping to a second line. I want to STOP the automatic
indent. I know whern I want to indent a line and use the Tab key to do so.

How do I stop Word 2007 from trying to second guess or read my mind? So far
I HATE this software.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to stop automatic second line indent?

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Word 2007. I can definitely help you with your issue of stopping automatic second line indent. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open the Word document in which you want to stop automatic second line indent.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section to open the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  4. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, click on the "Indents and Spacing" tab.
  5. Under the "Indentation" section, change the "Special" drop-down menu from "First line" to "None".
  6. Click on the "OK" button to save your changes and close the "Paragraph" dialog box.

That's it! Now Word 2007 will no longer automatically indent the second line of your paragraphs. If you want to manually indent a line, you can still use the Tab key as you mentioned. I hope this helps you with your letter writing. If you have any other questions or issues, feel free to ask.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lobo Lobo is offline

Thank you. Now, how do I change things so that this is the default?
Everything I used to know and use on Word is now changed or hidden and a
million esoteric choices I never want to make are in the @^%#$! banner taking
up much space on my screen. What "style" does not include the "hanging
indent" and how do I change the font default?

Any good advice will be appreciated.

"Lobo" wrote in message
I'm trying to write a simple letter in Word 2007. Word automatically
inmdents when wrapping to a second line. I want to STOP the automatic
indent. I know whern I want to indent a line and use the Tab key to do

so.

How do I stop Word 2007 from trying to second guess or read my mind? So

far
I HATE this software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll let those who have experience with Word 2007 answer this, or you might
try looking at what Office Online has to offer in the way of tutorials.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It would appear that the style you're using has a hanging indent. You

might
try pressing Ctrl+Shift+T to see if that removes it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lobo" wrote in message
I'm trying to write a simple letter in Word 2007. Word automatically
inmdents when wrapping to a second line. I want to STOP the automatic
indent. I know whern I want to indent a line and use the Tab key to

do
so.

How do I stop Word 2007 from trying to second guess or read my mind?

So
far
I HATE this software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pegz Pegz is offline

Hi Lobo, goto paragraph, indents and spacing, indentation - change to 'none'
and at the bottom click on default.
--
Spark from RSA

"Lobo" wrote:

I'm trying to write a simple letter in Word 2007. Word automatically
inmdents when wrapping to a second line. I want to STOP the automatic
indent. I know whern I want to indent a line and use the Tab key to do so.

How do I stop Word 2007 from trying to second guess or read my mind? So far
I HATE this software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Alternatively, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane. Click the
Manage Styles button. In the Manage Styles dialog box, click the Set
Defaults tab, where you can specify paragraph and font defaults in a single
location. Click the "New documents based on this template" radio button and
then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP