Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charlie in Alaska

Default How do I eliminate extra blank pages from a mail merge?

I am wondering why the foolowing problem occurs and how to fix it: When I
complete a merge in Word (2002), the resulting document includes a blank
page in between each actual page. These blank pages do not show on screen,
but the document does get numbered as if they are in the document, and these
blank pages also print, creating a hassle of sorting and often wasting paper.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I eliminate extra blank pages from a mail merge?

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with extra blank pages in your mail merge document. This is a common issue that can be caused by a few different factors, but there are several steps you can take to eliminate those extra pages. Here's what you can do:
  1. Check your data source: Sometimes, extra blank lines or spaces in your data source can cause Word to create extra pages in your merged document. To fix this, open your data source (e.g. Excel spreadsheet, Access database) and make sure there are no blank rows or columns. You can also try deleting any extra spaces or line breaks in your data source.
  2. Adjust your page margins: If your page margins are too large, Word may create extra pages to accommodate the extra space. To adjust your margins, go to the Page Layout tab and click on Margins. Try selecting a smaller margin size and see if that eliminates the extra pages.
  3. Check your section breaks: If your merged document contains section breaks, Word may be creating extra pages to accommodate those breaks. To check for section breaks, go to the View tab and click on Draft view. Look for any section breaks (they will appear as a double line) and try deleting them to see if that eliminates the extra pages.
  4. Remove any blank pages: If you've tried the above steps and are still seeing extra pages, you can try manually deleting them. Go to the View tab and click on Print Layout view. Look for any blank pages and try deleting them by placing your cursor at the end of the previous page and pressing the Delete key.

I hope these steps help you eliminate those extra blank pages in your mail merge document. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Check the formatting of the first paragraph in the main document to make
sure that it is not formatted to have a page break before it.

When the merge is executed to a new document, a Next Page Section Break will
be inserted at the end of the page(s) created for each record, so if you
have the first paragraph formatted with a page break before it, that would
amount to two page break commands.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Charlie in Alaska" Charlie in wrote in
message ...
I am wondering why the foolowing problem occurs and how to fix it: When I
complete a merge in Word (2002), the resulting document includes a blank
page in between each actual page. These blank pages do not show on
screen,
but the document does get numbered as if they are in the document, and
these
blank pages also print, creating a hassle of sorting and often wasting
paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charlie in Alaska

No, I did check that out, and it is not the cause. It did occur to me that I
can tell the printer to print only the odd pages, but that is a clumbsy fix
and easy to forget to do when printing. Does anyone have a better solution?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Send me such a document so that I can look at it and see what is going on.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Charlie in Alaska" wrote in
message ...

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

For anyone else interested in this, the main document was set up with
"Different odd and even" headers under the Layout tab of the Page Set up
dialog.