Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Singapore Web Design Singapore Web Design is offline

Default How to span/split a tall picture to multiple pages

Hello,

As in title - I am trying to span an image to multiple pages without having
to manually cut it using an image editor.

For example, a picture that is 3 pages height and 1 page width - it should
split into 3 pages nicely rather than one page containing the partial image.

I would prefer not to split the picture, but store it as one whole image in
the word document, with the images continuing into the next page if too tall
to fit in one page.

Thanks in advance.

--
Singapore Web Design
http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to span/split a tall picture to multiple pages

Hi there!

To span a tall picture to multiple pages in Microsoft Word, you can use the "Wrap Text" feature. Here's how:
  1. Insert your picture into the Word document by clicking on the "Insert" tab and selecting "Pictures".
  2. Select the picture by clicking on it.
  3. Click on the "Format" tab and select "Wrap Text".
  4. Choose the "Behind Text" option.
  5. Click on the "Position" button and select "Top Left" (or whichever position you prefer).
  6. Adjust the size of the picture to fit the first page.
  7. Move the cursor to the end of the first page and press "Enter" to create a new page.
  8. The picture should automatically continue onto the next page. If it doesn't, you can adjust the position of the picture by clicking on it and dragging it to the desired position.

Repeat steps 7 and 8 until the entire picture is displayed across multiple pages.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Singapore Web Design Singapore Web Design is offline

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt response.

PS: http://word.mvps.org/index.html has an item on the left named 'site map'
that links to a Zip file. Is this on purpose?

--

Singapore Web Design wrote:
Hello,

As in title - I am trying to span an image to multiple pages without
having to manually cut it using an image editor.

For example, a picture that is 3 pages height and 1 page width - it
should split into 3 pages nicely rather than one page containing the
partial image.
I would prefer not to split the picture, but store it as one whole
image in the word document, with the images continuing into the next
page if too tall to fit in one page.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

How about inserting the image into the file three times, masking first
the bottom 2/3, then the top and bottom 1/3s, then the top 2/3?

On Mar 22, 6:16*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Objects in Word cannot span pages, so what you ask is impossible.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Singapore Web Design wrote:
Hello,

As in title - I am trying to span an image to multiple pages without
having to manually cut it using an image editor.

For example, a picture that is 3 pages height and 1 page width - it
should split into 3 pages nicely rather than one page containing the
partial image.
I would prefer not to split the picture, but store it as one whole
image in the word document, with the images continuing into the next
page if too tall to fit in one page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Then the document will bloat (three images and not one). The only sensible
solution is to split it in an image editor - such as the free IrfanView.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Singapore Web Design wrote:
Hello,

As in title - I am trying to span an image to multiple pages without
having to manually cut it using an image editor.

For example, a picture that is 3 pages height and 1 page width - it
should split into 3 pages nicely rather than one page containing the
partial image.
I would prefer not to split the picture, but store it as one whole
image in the word document, with the images continuing into the next
page if too tall to fit in one page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

See OP's first sentence.

I downloaded both Irfan and GIMP (because they were there), on the
offchance that I might someday need a graphics program. How good are
they?

Singapore Web Design wrote:
Hello,

As in title - I am trying to span an image to multiple pages without
having to manually cut it using an image editor.

For example, a picture that is 3 pages height and 1 page width - it
should split into 3 pages nicely rather than one page containing the
partial image.
I would prefer not to split the picture, but store it as one whole
image in the word document, with the images continuing into the next
page if too tall to fit in one page.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The point was, you cannot do what the OP wants to do (split across pages):
your solution does give a result but at the expense of putting three
graphics into the document which will cause enormous bloat and therefore is
inadvisable to even try.

IrfanView is probably the leading free graphics editor. I use it a huge
amount for editing graphics before they are inserted into Word and for
editing pictures before they go on the web.

Although the graphics handling in Word 2007 seems to be a better than in
previous versions, it still seems advantageous to actually resample
pictures/graphics in IrfanView so that they are the correct size and
resolution before inserting them. The end document is much smaller and
easier to handle (especially long documents with many graphics) as Word
still keep remnants for the Reset graphic option.

Terry