Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SoxFan in VA SoxFan in VA is offline

Default Recovering deleted comments?

I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to get some input from the
Word experts.

A user came to me today and asked if it's possible to recover comments from
a word doc. I think what happened is a client did an accept all changes
while we wanted to see those changes/comments beforehand. I think we are
out of luck but if there is a trick to get them back that would be great.

Thanks,

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Recovering deleted comments?

Hi T,

Unfortunately, if the comments were deleted and not saved before the "accept all changes" was performed, then it is unlikely that they can be recovered. However, there are a few things you can try:
  1. Check the "Review" tab: Sometimes, comments can be hidden or collapsed in the document. Go to the "Review" tab and look for the "Show Markup" dropdown. Make sure "Comments" is checked. This will show all comments in the document, even if they are hidden.
  2. Check the "Document Recovery" pane: If Word crashed or closed unexpectedly, there may be a backup of the document in the "Document Recovery" pane. Go to the "File" tab and look for "Manage Document" or "Info". From there, you should see an option for "Recover Unsaved Documents" or "Document Recovery". If there is a backup of the document, it may contain the comments that were deleted.
  3. Check previous versions: If the document was saved multiple times, you may be able to access a previous version that still contains the comments. Go to the "File" tab and look for "Versions" or "Version History". From there, you can see a list of previous versions of the document. If you find a version that still contains the comments, you can save that version as a new document.

Best regards,
PHP Code:
Signature