Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default Replace an image with another one

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an existing
image in a Word document with a different one? The reason I as is because
when I delete the present one and then insert the new one, the new image
goes into a different location and covers the text below it, etc. Is there
a trick to doing this so the new image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Replace an image with another one

Hi Jeff,

No worries, it's not a stupid question at all! Yes, there is a way to replace an existing image in a Word document with a different one without it moving to a different location. Here's how you can do it in Word 2002 on XP:
  1. Click on the image you want to replace to select it.
  2. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard to remove the existing image.
  3. Click on the "Insert" menu at the top of the screen.
  4. Select "Picture" from the drop-down menu.
  5. Choose the new image you want to insert and click "Insert."
  6. The new image will be inserted in the same location as the old one.

If the new image is a different size than the old one, it may cause the text to move around slightly. To fix this, you can adjust the text wrapping settings for the new image. Here's how:
  1. Click on the new image to select it.
  2. Click on the "Format" menu at the top of the screen.
  3. Select "Picture" from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click on the "Layout" tab.
  5. Choose the text wrapping option that works best for your document (e.g. "In line with text," "Square," "Tight," etc.).
  6. Click "OK" to apply the new text wrapping settings.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you select the picture and then use Insert | Picture | From File, the new
one should replace the old one in the same position and at the same size. In
Word 2007, it's even easier: right-click and choose Change Picture.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an existing
image in a Word document with a different one? The reason I as is because
when I delete the present one and then insert the new one, the new image
goes into a different location and covers the text below it, etc. Is
there a trick to doing this so the new image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

That's what I thought, but it is just not happening here. Don't know why.

I decided to give up and just use the old image. Thanks.

Jeff

wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers the
text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new image
goes where the old one was? Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kara the Computer Tutor Kara the Computer Tutor is offline

Hi Jeff,

There's also a trick to moving pictures around. I don't have Word 2002, but
I have 2003, and I'm sure it's very similar:

1. Click on the new photo you've inserted to highlight it.

2. Look for the picture toolbar somewhere one your screen. If it's not
there, click on View, then Toolbars, then Picture.

3. To the right of the Picture Toolbar is an icon with a little dog in it.
Click on it.

4. Click on either "In Front of Text" or "Behind Text." It doesn't matter
which.

5. Now you should be able to move your picture wherever you want it to go on
your page.

Kara
http://www.karathecomputertutor.com

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an existing
image in a Word document with a different one? The reason I as is because
when I delete the present one and then insert the new one, the new image
goes into a different location and covers the text below it, etc. Is there
a trick to doing this so the new image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Thank you Kara. I think I discovered the cause of the problem. I am
working on a second edition of a book I wrote a few years ago and because it
is a long manuscript, I am working on a copy of the original Word document
and making my corrections on that copy which I called "2nd edition ....."
instead of retyping everything.

Your comment about the toolbar gave me a clue. I know that toolbar appears
whenever i click on other images in the document, but on this troublesome
image it did not. Aha!

So I double clicked on the image and it opened up an ancient graphics
program called ABC SnapGraphics. I usualy create my images in a true graphic
program (PaintShop Pro) but for some weird reason I had done this one in
SnapGraphics, probably because it was a modification of an image I had used
in the past in my lectures. Any way I just made my changes in ABC
SnapGraphics (which fortunately was still on my computer) and now I do not
need to replace the "image".

I guess it was what might be called a linked image (?) and not a jpeg or
similar.

Jeff

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers the
text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new image
goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sounds like it is an OLE object; note that these do add to the file size and
complexity of the document.

http://word.mvps.org

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers the
text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new image
goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you see a field code when you press Alt+F9 (as I imagine you would), you
should be able to convert it to an embedded image by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9
(which unlinks it).

http://word.mvps.org

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers
the text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new
image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

OK, I copied it and pasted it into my graphic program and saved it as an
image.

Now I am back to problem 1. How do I replace the OLE with this image. When
I paste the image it covers over the OLE. When I delete the OLE everything
goes bunkers....

Jeff

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers
the text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new
image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you just unlink the OLE object in the Word doc as suggested
(Ctrl+Shift+F9), you should avoid these problems.

http://word.mvps.org

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers
the text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new
image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Thank you Suzanne. Unfortunately nothing works on this weird image object.
The program that created it only saves files as *.sg which is obviously a
proprietary format.
http://filext.com/file-extension/SG

(Ctrl+Shift+F9) had no effect on it. When I right click on the image, one
of the menu options is "ABC SnapGraphics Object" with 2 sub-options: edit
and convert. Under "convert" the only available option to convert it to "ABC
SnapGraphics Object". I guess Word just does not know what to do with this
weird type of object.

But don't worry. I did the changes I needed to and I will just leave things
the way they are. It is the only image created with this old program. The
publisher used it fine in the first edition; it should work in this one too.
SnapGraphics is an ancient program I once played with because of its unique
way of creating flow diagrams and fortunately it was still installed on my
PC.

Thanks for all your help over the years Suzanne.

Jeff

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The
reason I as is because when I delete the present one and then
insert the new one, the new image goes into a different location
and covers the text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing
this so the new image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Okay, sorry that didn't work. Something that might have (though perhaps not
satisfactorily) would have been to copy the image and then use Edit | Paste
Special | As Picture.

http://word.mvps.org

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The
reason I as is because when I delete the present one and then
insert the new one, the new image goes into a different location
and covers the text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing
this so the new image goes where the old one was?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Please don't be sorry. It's not your fault and you have been a tremendous
help for a long time. Things are fine now.

Jeff