Gary Clarke

Default Footnote Problem

I have a document in which I need to create two different sets of footnotes
for different people. Is there a way to create two different sets (or types)
of footnotes in a document, and then during printing set an option to
specify which set of footnote to print?

I'd rather be able to do this in one set of documents without creating a
duplicate set of document with different sets of footnotes. I don't want
people getting confused.

--
It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of
cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hello Gary

Gary Clarke wrote:
I have a document in which I need to create two different sets of footnotes
for different people. Is there a way to create two different sets (or types)
of footnotes in a document, and then during printing set an option to
specify which set of footnote to print?

I don't think there's a predefined way for doing this. If you use the
normal numbering scheme, it won't help to set a footnote and its
corresponding entry to "hidden", beceause Word would still count it
*and* reserve the space in the footnote area. Anything working with
footnotes and/or endnotes will fail in that respect, which means you'd
have to manually (or via VBA) remove the footnotes and re-insert them
after your printing run.

I'd rather be able to do this in one set of documents without creating a
duplicate set of document with different sets of footnotes. I don't want
people getting confused.

Well, for one thing, if two people with different footnotes read this
document, they might as well get very confused if they refer to
_different_ footnotes with the _same_ number! :-)

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Daiya Mitchell

I have a document in which I need to create two different sets of footnotes
for different people. Is there a way to create two different sets (or types)
of footnotes in a document, and then during printing set an option to
specify which set of footnote to print?

A real low tech option. One set as footnotes, one set as endnotes, convert
them when necessary, then remove the endnotes after printing.

Not sure how you would handle two sets of numbers.

New path on that--keep a master document with both the endnotes and
footnotes. Do a Save As. Depending on who you are printing for, run a macro
(probably a simple find & replace) to delete all footnotes or delete all
endnotes. Go back to the master document, do a Save As, delete the opposite
for the other person. Convert the endnotes back to footnotes if it's really
important.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Problem with Textboxes Gary McGill Page Layout 10 March 31st 05 03:23 PM
Big problem footnote number sequence in a Word 2003 document Melsco Microsoft Word Help 2 March 29th 05 03:47 PM
Attaching Expansion Pack to Word Documents - Puzzling Problem Jose Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 10:14 AM
Footnote problem ilyaz New Users 4 February 4th 05 05:51 PM
footnotes Placement Problem, Footnote Palced to high Jeremy Microsoft Word Help 0 January 21st 05 03:13 PM