frank drost

Default hard return after cross reference

I have received a new computer with a new version of
Word, microsoft office word 2003 (don't all great
problems with Word start with that line?) I "forgot" to
bring over the styles I had created in my own version to
my new Word, so I have to recreate some styles (do-able).
My query at this stage however is related to inserting
cross references. Whenever I insert a cross reference
(figure, table), it all works well. But when I save and
close the file, or just go into outline view (instead of
printout view) and then back into my file, all
crossreferences have a hard return directly behind it. So
the text "Figure 6" starts on a new line instead of just
sitting in the main body text. Why? and how can I change
that?

ta

You have inserted a paragraph break inside the bookmark for the
cross-reference by pressing Enter at the beginning of the caption.

Select just the part of your caption you want in the cross-reference. Go to
Insert | Bookmark. Check the box for "Show hidden bookmarks" and select the
radio button for "Location." The bookmark that is highlighted will be the
one for your caption. Click Add. Then update the cross-reference.

In future, create a new paragraph by pressing Enter at the end of the
preceding paragraph instead.