GH

Default Removed a chapter -> chapter numbering wrong for the figures

Hi,

I removed a chapter. Table of contents have been correct updated, but
not the chapter numbering for figures. The page numbers are OK.

When I fill in the caption, then there is the correct chapter number,
when push return then wrong chapter will be shown.

Thanks for help

Regards
Georg

Stefan Blom

Try the following: Click CTRL+A to select the entire document. Press
F9 to update display of fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I removed a chapter. Table of contents have been correct updated,

but
not the chapter numbering for figures. The page numbers are OK.

When I fill in the caption, then there is the correct chapter

number,
when push return then wrong chapter will be shown.

Thanks for help

Regards
Georg

GH

Thank you Stefan.

I tried, all the tables have been updated, but the numbering is still
wrong for the figures. My list off figures looks like this:

Figure 0-1: "adsasd" page 1-1 ---Figure Chapter should be 1; page
chapter is correct
Figure 0-2: "besdsd" page 1-3 ---"
Figure 3-1: "adasda" page 3-1 ---Figure Chapter should be 2, page
chapter should be 2
Figure 3-2: "adsasd" page 3-5 ---Figure Chapter should be 2, page
should be 2

Chapter 4 and the following are OK.

Thanks for all help
Regards
Georg

Stefan Blom

1. Check if heading numbering correctly set up according to the
instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html ?

2. If/when it is correctly setup, try selecting the headings and then
press CTRL+Q to remove any direct paragraph formatting. Then update
the fields again.

3. If the above fails, try the following: To get rid of (possible)
corruption in the document, copy the entire contents -- except for the
final paragraph mark -- into a new document.

For a detailed description, see the following article:

How can I recover a corrupt document or template – and why did it
become corrupt?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Does updating the fields work now?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you Stefan.

I tried, all the tables have been updated, but the numbering is

still
wrong for the figures. My list off figures looks like this:

Figure 0-1: "adsasd" page 1-1 ---Figure Chapter should be 1; page
chapter is correct
Figure 0-2: "besdsd" page 1-3 ---"
Figure 3-1: "adasda" page 3-1 ---Figure Chapter should be 2, page
chapter should be 2
Figure 3-2: "adsasd" page 3-5 ---Figure Chapter should be 2, page
should be 2

Chapter 4 and the following are OK.

Thanks for all help
Regards
Georg

GH

Oh Dear, ....

Thanks Stefan.
I have started with your hints and beginning with chapter 3 is now
correct. Remains chapter 1 and 2.

Regards
Georg

GH

I have it now!!!

Thanks Stefan.

It was step 2 that solved the problem. There have been some blank
headings; after deleting, CTRL+Q and updating the following headers now
it's OK.

Friendly regards
Georg

Stefan Blom

I'm glad you found the problem!

Brief comment:

In a Figure x-y format, Word makes use of STYLEREF fields to reference
the x part. And a STYLEREF field displays zero if the "current"
heading is an empty paragraph with numbering suppressed.

This is one good reason to avoid inserting empty paragraphs. Instead,
format your paragraphs with Space After and/or Space Before (found in
the Paragraph dialog box) to create paragraph spacing for your styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have it now!!!

Thanks Stefan.

It was step 2 that solved the problem. There have been some blank
headings; after deleting, CTRL+Q and updating the following headers

now
it's OK.

Friendly regards
Georg

Stefan Blom

Or actually, I'm glad you found the *solution* to the problem :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have it now!!!

Thanks Stefan.

It was step 2 that solved the problem. There have been some blank
headings; after deleting, CTRL+Q and updating the following

headers
now
it's OK.

Friendly regards