PopS

Default Pic Placeholders

Easy Q, I think;

2.6 GHz, 512 RAM, 7200rpm drives, WinXP Pro SP2+ Word 2002 both
updated to current fixes.

As my document reached about 200 pages, it began to slow down
response-wise. No problem, not a big surprise since I have a lot
of graphics, although they are sized for presentation in a
document and most used without having to resize. A very few are
displayed landscape as whole-page docs.

When speed began to bug me, thanks to this group, I separated the
doc into two, then three, etc., and now have it in 5 logical
pieces; easy to work on.
Periodically I archive and then put it all together as one doc
to check the TOC and Outline sensibility and go from there.
About all I've done in Outline View is promot/demote a couple of
headings here and there; not much moving around as I started from
the Outline. Most work was done in Print Layout View.

One of the 5 parts is heavy with JPEG graphics, so I turned on
Picture Placeholders to speed things up a bit. At first it
didn't seem to work, but then I noticed it was sort of working -
some pics were placeholders and others were not. There's no
relation to insert time or version etc. that I can tell. Most
graphics simply are still there.
This seems to be a permanent situation and not file
dependent.
Also, after each time things do slow down, the loss of speed
remains after I close Word. I have to actually do a Restart to
get things back to "normal".

I was wondering if, in those of you who have experienced anything
like this, whether it boils down to:
- page file (1 Gig, on separate physical drive)
- Word corruption
- OS corruption
- ???

So far I've tired a Word Detect and Repair but only just now
thought about the page file.
Where else would you think would make sense to check?

TIA,

PopS

"Picture placeholders" affects only inline graphics. "Drawings" covers
wrapped ones. If you work in Normal view, you won't see wrapped graphics
regardless of the Options setting. Working in Normal view as much as
possible is generally recommended for long docs (if you turn off background
repagination, this helps even more). For more tips on working with long
docs, see http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

"PopS" wrote in message
[...]

PopS

Inline, please:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: "Picture placeholders" affects only inline graphics.
=== Inlines affected would be images set as "inline" in the
Format|Picture|Layout tab, right? The only place I've used that
"inline" setting is in the appendixes; all others are set for
a -wrapped- setting, and some show while others so not
with -Picture Placeholders- on.
I wasn't aware of the difference and -Inline- images do indeed
come and go depending on the Placeholders settings; I checked
just for grins. But, -wrapped- may or may not react to that
setting. For me, at least, on my system.

"Drawings" covers
: wrapped ones. If you work in Normal view, you won't see wrapped
graphics
: regardless of the Options setting.
=== Does this imply I would see Inline images in Normal?
I didn't check yet due to time constraints, but it would
appear, with -Picture Placeholders- turned on, I don't see
anything but borders where the pictures would be if
they're -wrapped-, and no space at all for the -Inline- images.
e.g. none of my -Inline- appendix full page images show in
Normal View.

: ... Working in Normal view as much as
: possible is generally recommended for long docs (if you turn
off background
: repagination, this helps even more).
=== You can't really work in Normal and still work with
graphics?
=== When I'm writing straight text, that works well. I have to
switch to Print Layout though if there is an image on the page
and there are many images; probably 35 to 45% of the pages have
images on them.
Since they can sometimes jump to unexpected locations, I stop
and dress up the images about every ten pages or as long as I can
remember for sure what goes with what. Sometimes I use Tables,
sometimes I don't; it depends on the situation.
I use two methods to Insert pictures: Usually I open
PrintShop Pro and crop/resize/touchup the images, then Copy/Paste
them into the document. PSP does add a noticeable overhead time
to some Word operations, but not excessively compared to the
benefits of using it. I can't really per-size/crop etc. the
drawings because there are thousands to choose from in each
folder with only a few that will be used, which isn't known until
the text shapes up for them. The images are domonstrative tips,
so to speak.
It's faster for me to do them one-up this way.
=== Pagination doesn't seem to be an issue, but I hadn't thought
about it. So far it's not getting in the way but once in a blue
moon when I switch Print Layout.
=== I've never noticed any problems due to PSP/Word both being
open; have you or anyone else reading this? I sometimes notice
and overlap in activity if I switch to PSP before Word has
finished its Save but it's only a few seconds' worth and nothing
untoward has happened in all the years I've done it this way.

For more tips on working with long
: docs, see http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm
=== Good reference; I've downloaded it. Also the link to Bend
Word to Your Will is pretty good, too.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think next time I'll try linking all
the images. In fact, I've been considering ways to convert this
one to links and see how it works.
=== Do you think there is any advantage to linking over
embedding, other than the final .doc size?
In the end it doesn't really seem to save much space so I've
embedded now for years. Back in WD97 I -think- linking made
things even slower but it's been a long time now.

Thanks for any comments. I'm going to take a look and see what
my PageFile is doing today.

PopS

--
A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey. (stolen; author unknown)

:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "PopS" wrote in message
: ...
: Easy Q, I think;
:
[...]
: get things back to "normal".
:
: I was wondering if, in those of you who have experienced
anything
: like this, whether it boils down to:
: - page file (1 Gig, on separate physical drive)
: - Word corruption
: - OS corruption
: - ???
:
: So far I've tired a Word Detect and Repair but only just now
: thought about the page file.
: Where else would you think would make sense to check?
:
: TIA,
:
: PopS
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Yes, inline graphics are visible in Normal view provided you do NOT have
picture placeholders enabled. Generally speaking, inline graphics are
preferred wherever possible because they have less tendency to "wander." Any
attempt to fine-tune the placement of wrapped graphics before text editing
is complete is a waste of time.

Linking graphics can considerably reduce document size, but it makes the
document much less portable.

"PopS" wrote in message
[...]

: "PopS" wrote in message
: ...
: Easy Q, I think;
:
[...]

PopS

Just to wrap up the thread:
Apparently this was being cause by PaintShop Pro version 9 (or an
abberation that involved it on my system). If I start PSP after
I start Word, it works as I described although not consistantly,
and that's been my "norm". But if I start PSP first, it
straightens itself out and it hasn't occurred yet.
The speed issues I mentioned were the pagefile also; Somehow
the boot disk got its standard pagefule setting back; probably
when I did the Word Detect and Repair? dunno. Anyway, from what
I can see PSP isn't all that friendly to the page file and it
grows uneasonably. When I set the boot drive page file to its
minumum (didn't have to touch it on the other drive) it helped a
lot.
I'm at about 290 pages now and as long as PSP isn't loaded
speed is fine even with the entire document all in one file and
with pictures displaying but I'm not working on the whole thing
at once any more; I just assemble it now and than to check out
the overall. So, one way or another, it's related to memory
management and just "the way it is" I guess.
Thank heavens for Outline View.

Regards,

PopS

[...]
: "PopS" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
: newsgroup so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "PopS" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Easy Q, I think;
: :
[...]
: : get things back to "normal".
: :
: : I was wondering if, in those of you who have experienced
: anything
: : like this, whether it boils down to:
: : - page file (1 Gig, on separate physical drive)
: : - Word corruption
: : - OS corruption
: : - ???
: :