Austin Powers

Default problem with formatting a table of contents.

Forgive me here, but I have no idea how to describe what is probably going
on here.

I have two (as far as I can tell) identical documnts, each of which has a
table of contents. These tables of contents should be identicak, but they
are not and it seems completely out of my control to be able to make them
the same, and I have no idea why.

Each table if formatting based on the same styles: Heading 1 and Heading 2.

However, in one document, the right margin is flush up against the right
side of the page. In the other the table of contents is indented by 1/2
and inch from the right hand side of the page.

There does not seem to be ANYTHING that I can do that will make the table of
contents have a 1/2 inch margin from the right hand side of the page. I
have moved the 'house shaped thing' on the top of the page (I believe it's
the margin). No difference. I have moved the tabs (except for one THAT
WILL NOT MOVE). Moving the tabs indents each individual TOC entry and I
need to have all the TPC entries indented.

What can I do to get a 1/2" margin to the right of the TOC?

Margaret Aldis

Have you updated the right indent and tab positions in the TOC 1, TOC 2 etc.
styles? Probably your best bet is to use the Organizer to transfer the TOC
styles from the good document to the one that isn't right, but modifying the
styles yourself will let you see exactly what is set there and clear any
unwanted tab stops.

Note that the right indent is measured in from the page margin, so if you've
been fiddling on the Ruler bar you may need to get the page margins back to
match too (File Page Setup).

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

ng.com...