Jackie

Default TOCs - formatting

Hi there. Sorry if this is an old subject but I couldn't find an answer
anywwhere. I'm currently reformatting a whole load of documents,
applying styles and adding a ToC. Each time I inssert the TOC I have
to format the styles and also tick which styles I want included in the
TOC, ie heading 1 and schedule headings. Does anyone have any tips on
how I can insert the TOC in this standard format into each of my
documents? I've tried recording a macro (don't do VB) but it wouldn't
pick up the settings. TA

Charles Kenyon

Copy a TOC from one document where you have it set up the way you want to
another document. Then update it. A TOC is a field and the options you pick
in setting up the field set switches on the field. You can see these by
pressing Alt-F9.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jackie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there. Sorry if this is an old subject but I couldn't find an answer
anywwhere. I'm currently reformatting a whole load of documents,
applying styles and adding a ToC. Each time I inssert the TOC I have
to format the styles and also tick which styles I want included in the
TOC, ie heading 1 and schedule headings. Does anyone have any tips on
how I can insert the TOC in this standard format into each of my
documents? I've tried recording a macro (don't do VB) but it wouldn't
pick up the settings. TA

Stefan Blom

And styles can be copied from one document to another via the
Organizer (ToolsTemplates and Add-Ins, click the Organizer button).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
Copy a TOC from one document where you have it set up the way you

want to
another document. Then update it. A TOC is a field and the options

you pick
in setting up the field set switches on the field. You can see these

by
pressing Alt-F9.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jackie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there. Sorry if this is an old subject but I couldn't find an

answer
anywwhere. I'm currently reformatting a whole load of documents,
applying styles and adding a ToC. Each time I inssert the TOC I

have
to format the styles and also tick which styles I want included in

the
TOC, ie heading 1 and schedule headings. Does anyone have any

tips on
how I can insert the TOC in this standard format into each of my
documents? I've tried recording a macro (don't do VB) but it

wouldn't
pick up the settings. TA

Jackie

Thanks both of you. I have about 1500 document templates to update. Do
you think it makes sense to create a document with a TOC specifically
for this then use that as my base to copy from each time?

MM

Note that the TOC use of Styles for levels uses by default the "Outline
Level" which can be set in the paragraph formatting for the Style or
text. If you edit (or replace) Styles so they are all Body Text level
except for those you want in the TOC (for which you can designate up to
7 levels), your TOC will automatically populate the correct level for
the Styles. You don't have to reset them each time you redo the TOC.

Jackie

I did this Suzanne - FANTASTIC. Thanks a lot.

Glad I could help.

"Jackie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I did this Suzanne - FANTASTIC. Thanks a lot.

?remove all formatting from emailed course manual Colleen New Users 0 June 23rd 05 03:54 PM
Track Changes - Can I Enter without it Tracking Formatting? Mark Microsoft Word Help 1 April 23rd 05 09:27 PM
Form Fields lose bold formatting Ellen Microsoft Word Help 0 February 17th 05 09:11 PM
Formatting Ellen New Users 2 February 9th 05 10:29 PM
Apply Style but keep direct formatting? Stefan Blom New Users 2 November 28th 04 11:30 PM