George

Default Heading style problem

Hi all.

I want to create a heading that displays the following:
Chapter X
Name of the chapter

I want it to include a line break after inserting the numeration.
How is it possible? Is it going to appear well-formatted on the TOC?

TA.

--
Saludos a todos
#
Stefan Blom

First, set up numbering as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. If
you want your heading to be centered, make sure to specify "Nothing"
for "Follow number with" in the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog
box.

If you want the text in the TOC to occupy a single line, all you have
to do is separate the "Chapter #" part and the chapter title with a
line break (press Shift+Enter to insert one). The line break will be
ignored by the TOC (unless you add the \x switch to the field code).

In the document:

Chapter #line break
Chapter title here

In the TOC:

Chapter # Chapter title here

Alternatively, if you don't want the "Chapter" part to be in the
TOC, use two styles: Heading 1 for the numbering and a custom style
for the title of the TOC. When you create the TOC, make sure to
exclude Heading 1 and add your custom style.

Note that if you do want the chapter number (but not the word
"Chapter") to be in the TOC you can then add numbering to the TOC 1
style, which is used by Word to add level one text in the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"George" wrote in message
Hi all.

I want to create a heading that displays the following:
Chapter X
Name of the chapter

I want it to include a line break after inserting the numeration.
How is it possible? Is it going to appear well-formatted on the TOC?

TA.

--
Saludos a todos
#
# Contra el terrorismo
#

Alternatively, if you don't want the "Chapter" part to be in the
TOC, use two styles: Heading 1 for the numbering and a custom style
for the title of the TOC. When you create the TOC, make sure to
exclude Heading 1 and add your custom style.

Alternatively, you can use Heading 1 for the chapter titles and a custom
numbered style for the chapter number. This works fine if you don't need to
include the chapter number in an outline numbering scheme, page numbers,
figure captions, etc.

"George" wrote in message
Hi all.

I want to create a heading that displays the following:
Chapter X
Name of the chapter

I want it to include a line break after inserting the numeration.
How is it possible? Is it going to appear well-formatted on the TOC?

TA.

--
Saludos a todos
#
# Contra el terrorismo
#

George

This is what I tried. However I want to include in the TOC both Chapter 1
and the title. In this case I get the page number on both, and I only
want one.
Get TOC:
Chapter 1 ----------- 1
The title ----------- 1

Desired TOC:
Chapter 1
The title ----------- 1

Any help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Alternatively, if you don't want the "Chapter" part to be in the
TOC, use two styles: Heading 1 for the numbering and a custom style
for the title of the TOC. When you create the TOC, make sure to
exclude Heading 1 and add your custom style.

Alternatively, you can use Heading 1 for the chapter titles and a
custom numbered style for the chapter number. This works fine if you
don't need to include the chapter number in an outline numbering
scheme, page numbers, figure captions, etc.

--
Saludos a todos
#
# Contra el terrorismo
#
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi George

George wrote:
This is what I tried. However I want to include in the TOC both Chapter 1
and the title. In this case I get the page number on both, and I only
want one.
Get TOC:
Chapter 1 ----------- 1
The title ----------- 1

Desired TOC:
Chapter 1
The title ----------- 1

Any help.

Look up the TOC-field in your offline help; the "\n"-switch is your friend.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Sorry, my answer was incorrect for what you say you want. There are two ways
to achieve

Chapter 1
Title..............................1

1. Assuming you've used a line break after the numbering, you can insert an
\x switch in the TOC field to make it preserve newline characters (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm). Note that this will
also preserve any other line breaks you have in the titles.

2. You can use two styles, one for the numbering and one for the title.
Assign different outline levels to them, and omit numbering in the TOC for
the outline level used for the chapter number. This is also explained in the
above-referenced article. If you want both TOC 1 and TOC 2 (or the
appropriate TOC levels) both flush left, you'll need to modify TOC 2.

"George" wrote in message
I will try it. Thanks

George wrote in
:

[...]

George

This seems to be the solution I was looking for.

Is there any good tutorial where I can learn this type of macro things?
TOC and so on.

TA.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Styles Elbert Page Layout 3 January 16th 06 01:37 AM
Can a heading style format with line above be turned off for new p EdCl Microsoft Word Help 2 May 5th 05 04:21 PM
why does my Heading 1 style have (symbol) next to style name? Rebecca W Microsoft Word Help 1 March 17th 05 01:11 PM
why does my heading 1 have (symbol) next to style name? Rebecca W Microsoft Word Help 1 March 17th 05 01:11 PM
Tab character in table of contents when using heading styles Rob Nicholson Page Layout 4 December 13th 04 11:26 AM