Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrea[_2_] Andrea[_2_] is offline

Default Headers and Section Breaks

I have a document with a title page without a header. I have a section break
after that. I also don't want a header on page 2, which I want to be
considered page 1--the first page of the actual document. Here's the
problem. I want the header to begin on the third page but to be numbered as
page 2 of x pages. I put a section break between pages 2 and 3, but I can't
figure out how to start the numbering on page 3 as page 2--if you can follow
that. If I do it, I also end up with a header on the previous pages despite
the section breaks. I'm using Word 2003 with Windows XP, SP2. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Headers & Footers Toolbar there's a button for "Format Page
Number." In there is a box where you can tell it what number to start
with. (But if you're going to print your document double-sided, you
should _never_ have an even page number on the front = right-hand
page.)

On Feb 27, 12:56*pm, "Andrea" wrote:
I have a document with a title page without a header. I have a section break
after that. I also don't want a header on page 2, which I want to be
considered page 1--the first page of the actual document. Here's the
problem. I want the header to begin on the third page but to be numbered as
page 2 of x pages. I put a section break between pages 2 and 3, but I can't
figure out how to start the numbering on page 3 as page 2--if you can follow
that. If I do it, I also end up with a header on the previous pages despite
the section breaks. *I'm using Word 2003 with Windows XP, SP2. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrea[_2_] Andrea[_2_] is offline

This isn't an issue of odd or even pages, so that's not a problem. I'd tried
setting that format page number box before without success, but for some
reason it worked this time. I think what I changed this time was that I made
sure in page setup that the header began with the new page and was for the
current section. Anyway, thanks for your help.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, when you set page numbering options in the Page Number Format dialog
box, it is done for the current section.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP