Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Coalbran Steve Coalbran is offline

Default Alternative icon for specific Word docs

How do I change the icon for specific Word document(s)?
I am actually using Word 2002 SP3 should that affect the solution.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

While folders can have unique icons from using right click and Properties, file types that are associated with being able to open a
file/document in a specific application by double clicking on it in Windows Explorer can be a bit trickier. The icon is usually
attached to that file association.

One roundabout method would be to save the file with a different (than usual) file extension, for Example with your initials added
so it could be
.docSC (put full name and extension in quotes when saving) then right click the saved file, use the 'Change' button, assign it to
Microsoft Word and then in Windows Explorer use
Tools=Folder Options=File Types
select your .docSC choice and change the icon that would be used by any file with that .docSC extension using the [Advanced] button

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP