Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
K K is offline

Default AutoFormat/AutoCorrect Settings Change

Perhaps I simply do not understand how it's sposed to work - I open a Word
2003 docu, then Format - AutoFormat. AutoFormat is set to replace ordinals
with superscript and AutoCorrect is set to capitalize the first letter of
sentences. I deselect both, create my docu and close Word. The next time I
open Word - without a system shut down - the settings have reverted to the
default settings and must be deselected again. From this forum I found "My
menus and toolbars are missing and won't come back€¯ at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm. I have tried
"Using the /a switch" and "Deleting and recreating the corrupt registry
values." "Using the /a switch" didn't produce noticeable results. "Deleting
and recreating the corrupt registry values" holds my deselection selections
as long as I don't do a restart or shut down, no matter how many times I open
or close Word. If I do a restart or shutdown, my deselection selections
revert to the default settings and "Deleting and recreating the corrupt
registry values" and the desired selections must be deselected again. So far
these settings are the only ones I've noticed not staying where I put them. I
have tried closing Word and doing "Deleting and recreating the corrupt
registry values." I have tried opening Word, making my deselections then with
word open doing "Deleting and recreating the corrupt registry values." I have
tried opening Word, making my deselections, closing Word then doing "Deleting
and recreating the corrupt registry values." None worked like I think I
understand how it's sposed to work. Is this the way changing the settings in
AutoFormat and AutoCorrect is sposed to work? Am I changing the settings in
the correct place? What am I doing wrong? All ideas, suggestions, and
comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is this a stand-alone or network computer?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There could be login script that removes your customizations on each login.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
K K is offline

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. But I must admit I am not very
compuliterate - What does "login script" mean? I suspect my unit is set for
all users. I dont have to log in. When I turn my unit on, the Welcome screen
is void of all those login icons, it passes that screen and goes directly to
desktop. When I purchased this unit a year or so ago, I explnd to the store
that we all use our own units and asked them to see if they could bypass all
that signin/login stuff the others must go thru at startup. This
AutoFormat/AutoCorrect situ may have been there from the start but it seemed
to operate properly at first. It wasn't noticed until after a couple of
months of usage. Is this information pertinent to your answer? Thanks, K.

"K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No network security? No individual user settings? Are you sharing Word? If
you are no doubt you are sharing normal.dot? I am not surprised it doesn't
work. How long before someone out there on the internet taps into your
system, which is presumably connected to the big bad world?

If you want to ensure that your settings (which are an individual user
setting in the registry) are created for each document, then you are going
to have to set them by using auto macros in the (please not shared)
normal.dot template.

You can record the settings in a macro and save the required code in both an
autoopen and an autonew macro - see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm , but I would strongly recommend
that you look at your network security and your user settings.