Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Richard is offline

Default TOC Field Code

In Word 2003 is there a way to hide the TOC fields from appearing on the
screen? The F9 commands don't seem to work on it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Richard" wrote:

In Word 2003 is there a way to hide the TOC fields from appearing on the
screen? The F9 commands don't seem to work on it.

By this I assume you mean that you are seeing the TOC field codes instead of
the TOC field value (The TOC itself).
If that is the case, there are two toggle keys:

ALT-F9 toggles the display of field codes in the whole document; and
SHIFT-F9 toggles the display of field codes in the currently selected fields.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Richard is offline

Thank you for your response. However, I am referring to the manual TOC
markings used to mark the headings in a document not the TOC itself. In a
lot of our older documents the paragraph headings were manually marked with a
TOC field e.g. {TC "INTRODUCTION" \F C \1 "1"}. Can these be hidden? I'm
afraid it will mess with the pagination of the document.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

In Word 2003 is there a way to hide the TOC fields from appearing on the
screen? The F9 commands don't seem to work on it.

By this I assume you mean that you are seeing the TOC field codes instead of
the TOC field value (The TOC itself).
If that is the case, there are two toggle keys:

ALT-F9 toggles the display of field codes in the whole document; and
SHIFT-F9 toggles the display of field codes in the currently selected fields.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Richard" wrote:

Thank you for your response. However, I am referring to the manual TOC
markings used to mark the headings in a document not the TOC itself. In a
lot of our older documents the paragraph headings were manually marked with a
TOC field e.g. {TC "INTRODUCTION" \F C \1 "1"}. Can these be hidden? I'm
afraid it will mess with the pagination of the document.

Indeed, more details would have been useful... ;-) TOC fields are different
from TC fields...

TC fields are hidden fields. If you see them it either means that you have
turned on the display of hidden text in the "Tools Options... View tab"
dialog, or that you have used the ¶ on the toolbar.

If they print, it means that you have activated the printing of hiddent text
in the print options. This is a "sticky" option, i.e Word keeps it once it is
turned on, but by default it is not activated.