Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tadopolis tadopolis is offline

Default Set up of complex, multi-part documents? WORD 2007

What are the best practices for setting up complex, multi-part documents in
WORD 2007?

Specifically we want to be able to have 6 to 12 separate parts of a single
document, set up in a way that we can quickly move from one part to another
part; without scrolling through the pages.

In EXCEL this can be done by using multiple "worksheets".

In Lotus WORDPRO this can be done by creating what they call sections.
Word's "sections" do not appear to be comparable.

;^)
English is not my native lanuage.
Please be clear and specifc in your reply. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Roo Roo is offline

A couple of suggestions are
1) create a table of contents at the start of the document (you will find
that in word 2007 in the References Tab)
2) Use hyperlinks within the document (select text, right click, hyperlink
then choose place in this document)

For these to work you will need to use styles i.e. heading 1, heading 2

"tadopolis" wrote:

What are the best practices for setting up complex, multi-part documents in
WORD 2007?

Specifically we want to be able to have 6 to 12 separate parts of a single
document, set up in a way that we can quickly move from one part to another
part; without scrolling through the pages.

In EXCEL this can be done by using multiple "worksheets".

In Lotus WORDPRO this can be done by creating what they call sections.
Word's "sections" do not appear to be comparable.

;^)
English is not my native lanuage.
Please be clear and specifc in your reply. Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

And to add to Roo's answer...

If you format your document correctly with styles, you can use the DocMap as
a navigation aid. The DocMap can be considered as a 'docked Table of
Contents' and just clicking on a section title jumps to that section. When
you have multiple levels of headings, you can right-click on the DocMap and
choose how many levels you want to display. (But note that the DocMap is an
AutoFormat trigger so that if you haven't correctly used styles for
headings, etc., the DocMap will try to guess where headings should be and
apply a heading style.)

The Table of Contents also lets you navigate as clicking on the page number
of a heading will also jump you to that section. To return to the TOC to
select another area, there is a Return to TOC command that you can add to
the Quick Launch Toolbar.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP