Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

Default MS Word problems with SP3 update

Help Please,

Whenever I allow my computer to download and install the SP3 update for
Office, it screws up MS Word. I've presented this problem to the "general
questions forum" for Office, and have received no help to date. So I'll try
here at the "Word" forum.

Specifically, after the SP3 update is intalled, when I open Word, then
attempt to use the "Tools" button in Word at the top of the screen, as soon
as I click on the "tools" button, my computer freezes up, and I have to
control-alt-delete my way out of Word. In some cases I even have to
completely reboot my computer just to get control again.

I've isoloated this problem to the SP3 update. Since MS does not allow for
an "uninstall" of this specific update, I have to completely remove the
installation of MS Office 2003 in add/remove programs, ..... then completely
reinstall MS Office 2003 form the CD, then go through and get all the updates
again .... However I block the SP3 update from installing.

Once I do that, MS Word works just fine, and no problems when I attempt to
use the "tools" button................but sure enough, I've experimented
several times, I allow the SP3 update to download and install, and the same
problems occur again. So then I have to completely uninstall Office 2003 yet
again, then reinstall completely. What a pain in the rear.

So now, I just never allow the SP3 update to downloand and install. The
problem is obviously being caused by this specific update from Microsoft. I
install all the other updates, just not SP3, and all works just fine.

Question # 1 - by not allowing this SP3 update to install, is my computer at
risk in any way?

Question # 2 - If question #1's answer is yes, how does one fix this problem
with this update so my computer is not at risk, and so MS Word functions
properly?

Thanks for any help with this,

Robert
03/13/08 at 8:42pm PST
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

At risk in any way? The risks are probably very small indeed, but no more
than they were before the update (which is essentially a roll-up of the
updates since SP2) was released. FWIW there have been a couple of bugs
reported with SP3 and so I have not updated my own PC since SP2 and I am not
losing sleep over it.

Robert wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

Thanks Graham,

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject,

Robert, 03-13-08 at 11:45pm PST

Robert wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I'm running SP3 and haven't had any issues except for having to
download the .reg file to permit me to open files created in really old
versions. I could have worked around that if it were not for having another
app that exports directly to Word--in Word 2.0 format!

Robert wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The major issue for me is the record counter on the mail merge toolbar which
only shows the first two digits, regardless of the number of records.

Robert wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since I don't use the record numbers, this hasn't affected me, but I have
escalated this issue; unfortunately, I think our private Word NG is
currently unmonitored.

Robert wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Robert,

Graham has replied to your question on what happens if you don't install the SP3 update. At some point, there may be a later update
that requires SP3 to be in place for that update to install.

For the issue with the Tools=Options choice it's possible that you have an incompatible or corrupted SmartTag or add-in. Depending
on your security/macro security settings the first time some of the add-in/SmartTag DLLs will try to load is when you bring up the
Options dialog.

If you start Word in safe mode (hold ctrl key when clicking the Word shortcut) or in 'basic/clean' mode
Start=Run
Winword.exe /A

do you get the same issue with SP3 installed?

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP