Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
William Sinclair William Sinclair is offline

Default How to ADD equations, drawings to Word 2003?

How do I add technical diagrams to Word 2003

I am typing an engineering document for school. This requires me to add
drawings and equations to it.

The equations are of the type normally found in calculus, namely
integrals, partial dervatives, summations, with Greek letters etc. Word
allows me to insert Greek letters, but it balks when I try to put them
in equations, under radical or integral signs, etc.

The drawings are circuit diagrams, but they are not terribly
complicated. I see in WORD 2003 that I can ADD a picture, but it isn't
clear HOW to DRAW the picture. Do I need to buy additional software to
add the circuit diagrams and/or equations? Can I get those in one
package?

Thanks; Bill

--
William Sinclair
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you've already created these diagrams in another program, have you tried
Insert | Picture | From File? To create equations, you can use the Equation
Editor, which is not installed by default. First check Insert | Object |
Create New and see if Microsoft Equation 3.0 is listed. If it is, then EE is
installed (you can add a toolbar button to make it more easily accessible).
If not, go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office,
and click the Change button. In the first page, select "Add or Remove
Features." On the next page, expand "Office Tools." Select Equation Editor
and set it to "Run from My Computer." Click the Update button, and insert
the Office CD when prompted.

"William Sinclair" wrote in
message m...

How do I add technical diagrams to Word 2003

I am typing an engineering document for school. This requires me to add
drawings and equations to it.

The equations are of the type normally found in calculus, namely
integrals, partial dervatives, summations, with Greek letters etc. Word
allows me to insert Greek letters, but it balks when I try to put them
in equations, under radical or integral signs, etc.

The drawings are circuit diagrams, but they are not terribly
complicated. I see in WORD 2003 that I can ADD a picture, but it isn't
clear HOW to DRAW the picture. Do I need to buy additional software to
add the circuit diagrams and/or equations? Can I get those in one
package?

Thanks; Bill

--
William Sinclair

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:08:55 +0000, William Sinclair
wrote:

How do I add technical diagrams to Word 2003

I am typing an engineering document for school. This requires me to add
drawings and equations to it.

The equations are of the type normally found in calculus, namely
integrals, partial dervatives, summations, with Greek letters etc. Word
allows me to insert Greek letters, but it balks when I try to put them
in equations, under radical or integral signs, etc.

The drawings are circuit diagrams, but they are not terribly
complicated. I see in WORD 2003 that I can ADD a picture, but it isn't
clear HOW to DRAW the picture. Do I need to buy additional software to
add the circuit diagrams and/or equations? Can I get those in one
package?

Thanks; Bill

For equations:

There is an equation editor that comes with Office, but it may not be installed
yet. To find out, click Insert Object and look in the list for Microsoft
Equation 3.0. If it's there, select it and click OK to start entering an
equation.

If it isn't there, go to Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, select the Office
item, and click Change. Select "Add or Remove Features" and click Next. Check
the box for "Choose advanced customization of applications" and click Next.
Expand the icon for Office Tools, click the Equation Editor icon, and choose
"Run from my computer". Click the Update button. You may be asked to insert the
Office CD.

There is also a better editor at
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/default.htm, and there is a free
30-day trial download.

~~~~~

For drawings:

The Microsoft offering that does this is Visio
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/default.aspx).

If that's too pricey for you, search around the 'Net. Try
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...g+program+free

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman