Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phi1 Phi1 is offline

Default I want to create my own font

as the title explains, i want to make my own font. i have a sister that
enjoys creative writing, and has created a language that she wishes to
write a book in. she has created her language so that each letter of
the alphabet is represented by a symbol.
i would consider myself past the novice stage of computing and IT, so
if this task isn't too complex (the level of complexity is hard to
determine for someone else i know, lol) , i would enjoy the challenge
of creating a new font for her.
i may be incorrect (please don't hesitate to tell me if i'm barking up
the wrong tree), but i think i am going to need a program with which i
can draw each character of the new font (in a format that MS Office
will recognise). my starting problem is which program(s) can i use. i
have photoshop CS2, and all the image editors you get with windows XP
pro, and microsoft office with frontpage.
my second problem would be how to actually install the new font, but
i guess if someone could tell me which program to use to design the
font imaes, that would give me a good start on my project.
thanks in advance,

Phil

--
Phi1
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You are posting in the wrong newsgroup. You need to use Google to find font
making software.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Phi1" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"Phi1" wrote in message

[...]

I once wanted to make font, and looked into it. I even got a program, I
think it was a sample/trial download.
I looked up instructions and the writing had to be set up a certain way,
size, mathematically? I think it also required a Vector Drawing program,
that I didn't have. Maybe something like Corel Draw? Anyway, at the time it
seemed beyond my understanding, and what I had for programs and I ended up
giving up before even trying.
Just feedback on my looking into it. The language your sister invented
sounds like a form of Wingdings/Webdings, my Word has 4 versions of this,
but I may have downloaded one of them at one point.
I don't know if you'd need a special program for this (Windings) or not.
There are some pretty crazy fonts that are made.
The only way Word would come into it, you would put the finished font in
the FONT folder in your computer (in Windows) and Word would then pick it up
and you could use it.
JoAnn is right, you need to look for font making programs. I don't think
it's anything you can do, even part of (making the font) with Word or any
Office programs. That would just pick up on it and use it AFTER it was done
and in your font folder.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phi1[_2_] Phi1[_2_] is offline

ok guys , THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for your assistance with this. Graham,
after a few frustrating hours , i've finally got the HighLogic Font
Creator working like a charm.
i had to use photoshop to create the image i wanted, then opened it
with the High Logic font creator and adjusted the size so all were
equal. had a lot of messing around to work out things like key mappings
and how the image appeared so it looked right in MS Word. All in all,
having the correct software (photoshop CS2 and high logic font creator)
is 75% of the battle
Thanks again ever so much for your help

Phil....

P.S. if anyone would like to see or use the finished product, just
post, and you can take a look, i'm impressed with it if i do say so
myself

--
Phi1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"Phi1" wrote in message

ok guys , THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for your assistance with this. Graham,
after a few frustrating hours , i've finally got the HighLogic Font
Creator working like a charm.
i had to use photoshop to create the image i wanted, then opened it
with the High Logic font creator and adjusted the size so all were
equal. had a lot of messing around to work out things like key mappings
and how the image appeared so it looked right in MS Word. All in all,
having the correct software (photoshop CS2 and high logic font creator)
is 75% of the battle
Thanks again ever so much for your help

Phil....

P.S. if anyone would like to see or use the finished product, just
post, and you can take a look, i'm impressed with it if i do say so
myself

I'd love to see it.
Since you said it's a created font, to use in a book, do you have a way for
people reading it to translate it?
Maybe I have this wrong and it's clear what it's saying.

--
Phi1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

Default speaking of fonts

I spent some time yesterday, learning how to make a border (custom) out of
Wingdings/Webdings)
I know, this was in Publisher, and this is a Word newsgroup (LOL)
But, it has to do with font
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...ms2/skulls.jpg
So, if you ever want to know how to make a border around something (like a
page in your book) from your invented font it's possible.

"Carrie" wrote in message

"Phi1" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phi1[_3_] Phi1[_3_] is offline

No probs, i will post it up here tomorrow as long as theres no
objections by admin between now and then. you can easily translate back
to english by simply highlighting all the text, and changing the font to
a normal font(arial or whetever). then change back to the new font by
simply highlighting all the text again and reselecting my new font from
the list. the really cool thing is that all the effects such as bold,
italics, underline etc , all work with the new font.
the only thing i didn't get round to doing was mapping punctuation
marks like comma's , full stops etc. we're still deciding wether or not
to use normal punctuation marks, or wether to design whole new
symbols/characters to define punctuation marks.

--
Phi1
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"Phi1" wrote in message

No probs, i will post it up here tomorrow as long as theres no
objections by admin between now and then. you can easily translate back
to english by simply highlighting all the text, and changing the font to
a normal font(arial or whetever). then change back to the new font by
simply highlighting all the text again and reselecting my new font from
the list. the really cool thing is that all the effects such as bold,
italics, underline etc , all work with the new font.
the only thing i didn't get round to doing was mapping punctuation
marks like comma's , full stops etc. we're still deciding wether or not
to use normal punctuation marks, or wether to design whole new
symbols/characters to define punctuation marks.

I think having weird punctuation marks might get in the way of the images
used as fonts.

So, it could be translated into regular words, changing the font, like
wingdings.

I thought you were going to print an actual on paper book using it.

--
Phi1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phi1[_4_] Phi1[_4_] is offline

Yes, thats correct..... my Sister in law is going to be making the book
in paper form, and hopefully sell millions worldwide, lol. the only
reason i haven't posted it yet, is because when i asked her if she'd
like me too, she quite rightly had queries about copyright etc. she's
currently in the process of completing the copyrights, so looks like
i'll have to delay posting them here for now. As soon as i get the go
ahead from her, i'll put them up for anyone thats interested. so until
then, thanks again for everyone that helped

--
Phi1