Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] lkj862g4@hotmail.com is offline

Default MS Word 2007 - Double Spacing Lines by default - how to turn off ?

Hi

I am struggling with this new POS MS Word 2007 (at least I think it is
2007 - there is no Help/About menu by which I can tell).

For some reason you get a double-spaced document when you start MS
Word and eventually I found a place were you can get at the spacing
(I'd tell you where it is but I cannot find it again).

If you click/unclick a lot of checkboxes several times and alter the
line spacing then you can turn off this double spacing thing.

I tried getting Word 2007 to stay un-double-spaced but it does not
seem to work.

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? I don't have a copy of the
previous Word to get on with any work and I am having to draft in
TextPad and paste into a saved document in MS Word then fool with the
formating in there to create a new document.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

wrote in message

Hi

I am struggling with this new POS MS Word 2007 (at least I think it is
2007 - there is no Help/About menu by which I can tell).

For some reason you get a double-spaced document when you start MS
Word and eventually I found a place were you can get at the spacing
(I'd tell you where it is but I cannot find it again).

On the Home tab, go to Styles block, and click on Change Styles. Select Word
2003, and then click on "Set as Default".

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If you have the Office Button (the Pizza) in the top left corner, you have
Word 2007. The Pizza is really just the old FILE menu and opens if you click
on it or use Alt+F (note that when you press ALT, Word will display all the
shortcuts for the various menus and ribbons).

The 'double-spacing' is in fact the Paragraph formatting, Space After
setting. Simply edit normal style so that Space After is set to zero.

On the Home Ribbon, right-click on NORMAL in the Style Gallery and choose
MODIFY. IN the dialog, check the 'New Documents based on this Template'
button and then select FORMAT, Paragraph and in the Format Paragraph dialog,
change the Space After setting to zero. Click on OK, OK and close Word. Say
YES to the question to save changes to the global template.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message

Hi

I am struggling with this new POS MS Word 2007 (at least I think it is
2007 - there is no Help/About menu by which I can tell).

For some reason you get a double-spaced document when you start MS
Word and eventually I found a place were you can get at the spacing
(I'd tell you where it is but I cannot find it again).

If you click/unclick a lot of checkboxes several times and alter the
line spacing then you can turn off this double spacing thing.

I tried getting Word 2007 to stay un-double-spaced but it does not
seem to work.

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? I don't have a copy of the
previous Word to get on with any work and I am having to draft in
TextPad and paste into a saved document in MS Word then fool with the
formating in there to create a new document.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Normal style line spacing in 2007 is set at multiline or 1.15 (of the point
size) instead of single. You may want to change that too.

PamC

Terry Farrell wrote:
If you have the Office Button (the Pizza) in the top left corner, you have
Word 2007. The Pizza is really just the old FILE menu and opens if you click
on it or use Alt+F (note that when you press ALT, Word will display all the
shortcuts for the various menus and ribbons).

The 'double-spacing' is in fact the Paragraph formatting, Space After
setting. Simply edit normal style so that Space After is set to zero.

On the Home Ribbon, right-click on NORMAL in the Style Gallery and choose
MODIFY. IN the dialog, check the 'New Documents based on this Template'
button and then select FORMAT, Paragraph and in the Format Paragraph dialog,
change the Space After setting to zero. Click on OK, OK and close Word. Say
YES to the question to save changes to the global template.

Hi

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

TIA