Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] lkj862g4@hotmail.com is offline

Default MS Word 2007 - Double Spacing Lines by default - how to turn off ?

Figured it out.

Don't go to 'page layout', go to 'Home' which is the large button on
the LHS.

Middle of the screen there is a button with a doubleheaded arrow to
the left of some bars. Hit that.

Go to line spacing options.

Up to now I have been punching radio buttons, but you don't have to do
that. Set the two 'before' and 'after' spacing box to zero. I have
even managed to get new .docs to give single spacing.

If I was going to write stupid front ends to software, I would make
sure that there is always a command line interface for that software,
so that when all else failed, you can just give it the command from
the command line, without having to surf through lots of badly named
and badly grouped menus.

set linespace currentdoc nil

set linespace normaltemplate nil

This way, however hard you try to screw up the front end, someone can
always get some work done in spite of you.

--

Hi

I am struggling with this new POS MS Word 2007 (at least I think it is
2007 - there is no Help/About menu by which I can tell).

For some reason you get a double-spaced document when you start MS
Word and eventually I found a place were you can get at the spacing
(I'd tell you where it is but I cannot find it again).

If you click/unclick a lot of checkboxes several times and alter the
line spacing then you can turn off this double spacing thing.

I tried getting Word 2007 to stay un-double-spaced but it does not
seem to work.

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? I don't have a copy of the
previous Word to get on with any work and I am having to draft in
TextPad and paste into a saved document in MS Word then fool with the
formating in there to create a new document.

TIA