Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
NiC NiC is offline

Default Selecting specific columns

Hi everyone,

I have tried and tried and just can't seem to work this out. Being almost
morning probably isn't helping much either. =)

Basically, I'm doing a course where we have to learn to the basics of a
number of different Office progs. We're doing word at the moment. Simple
stuff, based on the 2003 version, but easily adaptable nonetheless. However,
I've come across a problem I can't seem to get around no matter what I try.

Here it is: After learning and then inserting about 3 or so tab points then
entering in some text to demonstrate how they look, we've been asked to
select the middle section of text, the refer to it as a column but it's not
a table that we've done here, it's just using tab stops. Anyway, the book
says to use the Alt button and the left mouse button to select just that
middle 'column'. I can not, for the love of all that is holy, select using
the Alt key or, when I choose to use the Ctrl and left-mouse button's all is
good until I hit save then the third line, out of four, moves back to the
original tab stop whereas everything else stays where it is supposed to.

I hope I've explained myself fairly well, like I said, it's almost and I
almost can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Thanks everyone,
Nic

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

This should work but turn on the non-printing characters first so that you
can see exactly what you are doing. Do NOT use the control key (not sure why
you were told to use it).

Click the cursor to the left of the first point where you want to start the
vertical selection. Then hold down the ALT key and left click button on the
mouse: drag the mouse downwards and across to select the whole of this
middle column of text. You should now have it all highlighted. Let go of the
mouse and use Ctrl+C (or Ctrl+X) to copy it to the clipboard, move location
and paste it there.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"NiC" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
NiC NiC is offline

Absolutely perfect! That is just what I needed to do. You explained it so
much better than my study guide did. I've never really learnt how to word as
I've not needed to until now, so sometimes I need a bit more of a detailed
explanation. =)

Thanks so much Terry, I really appreciate it. I'm glad I found this NG as
I'd been looking for ages online for some sort of answer.

Nic