Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

Default Changing _format_ to underline

Hi, all;

I have a document that sometimes needs to be seen as ASCII, so I've used
_this_ to indicate underline. For the final I'll want to change that. But I
don't know how to tell find and replace how to do this.

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AutoFormat will do it if you have the appropriate option enabled.

Yes, but the underscores are already in there, intentionally. I want to
replace ones that were written, say, last week, not ones I am typing today.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I repeat, AutoFormat (as opposed to AutoFormat As You Type) will do this.
You have to explicitly run AutoFormat. You can do this with Format |
AutoFormat | AutoFormat Now, or you can add an AutoFormat button to the
Formatting toolbar if you need to use it frequently.

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AutoFormat will do it if you have the appropriate option enabled.

Yes, but the underscores are already in there, intentionally. I want to
replace ones that were written, say, last week, not ones I am typing
today.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

On Wed, 7 May 2008 21:37:22 -0500, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AutoFormat will do it if you have the appropriate option enabled.

Yes, but the underscores are already in there, intentionally. I want to
replace ones that were written, say, last week, not ones I am typing today.

Autoformat is not the same as Autoreplace.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Amy Blankenship" wrote:

Oh, ok. I had never come across that feature before. Cool!

:-)
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I repeat, AutoFormat (as opposed to AutoFormat As You Type) will do this.
You have to explicitly run AutoFormat. You can do this with Format |
AutoFormat | AutoFormat Now, or you can add an AutoFormat button to the
Formatting toolbar if you need to use it frequently.

On my machine with Word 2003, _text_ (in the Autoformat as you type options)
is used to indicate italic, not underlining. So, if I run Autoformat, it will
italicized the text surrounded by _'s, not underline such text.

Am I missing somehting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Ooh, you're right. But you could then search and replace italic with
underline, I suppose.

Thanks, all.

BTW, I'm just a few minutes from you, north of Gulfport :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

On Fri, 9 May 2008 16:26:30 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Well, maybe more than "a few minutes," but definitely a "neighbor." FWIW,
you might want to leave the italics; underlines are so yesterday.

Underlines are a hangover from old mechanical typewriters, which couldn't do
italics, and were an indication to the typesetter to set in italics.

Underlines should never be used with a proportional font, except to indicate
inserted text in redlining (or whatever Microsoft want to call it now).