Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 Pagination

I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too high on
the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some lines below the
page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at the bottom of the page.
Can someone tell me how to move the page numbers down as low as possible on
the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

I am sorry. I gave the wrong impression. I meant that on a number of
pages, there area several sentances which I need to keep found below the
page numbers.

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too high on
the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some lines below the
page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at the bottom of the
page. Can someone tell me how to move the page numbers down as low as
possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Thank you Suzanne. That helped a lot. With that instruction I was able to
add a page number to the footer and to put it nice an low on the page.
However, there still exists another page number about an inch higher. If I
double click this other page number and then click it once more, it appears
to be in a text box (about 6 inches across) in the lower part of each page.
If I click the gray box around the page number the black boxes used to size
it appear. If I then press delete, the box and the number disappear. Is
there a way to get all of these boxes to disappear at once, so that only the
page numbers that I put low in the footer (like you instructed me) remain?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too high
on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some lines below
the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at the bottom of
the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page numbers down as low
as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When you use the Insert | Page Numbers command, the page number is inserted
in a frame. Every time you use this command, another frame is inserted.
Which is why using the Insert Page Number command on the Header and Footer
toolbar is recommended. I'm afraid you'll have to go through the footers one
by one and delete the frames one by one. For more on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too high
on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some lines below
the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at the bottom of
the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page numbers down as low
as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Thank you Suzanne,
I have gone through and deleted all 132 page number frames. And I have the
Header and Footer toolbar onscreen. When I click Insert Page Number, I see
a page number inserted into the footer, left justified. If I want it to be
centered I can press ^E and it will move over. However, I do not see any
page numbers in any of the other footers in the document. How can I get
page numbers throughout the document (and preferably have them centered)?
Thank you again in advance.

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too high
on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some lines
below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at the
bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page numbers
down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Suzanne, I tried a fresh document and found that clicking Insert Page Number
while in the first Footer did indeed enter the page number in all of the
footers. So, I looked more carefully at my big document, in which I need
the help. The footers in that big document are not just labeled "Footer".
Rather, they are labeled something like "Odd Page Footer - Section 2 -" With
it sometimes saying "Even Page ..." and having many different sections. So,
I have a new question. Is there a way to get rid of the old headers and
footers and reinserting regular footers, which will take the page numbers in
a normal way?
Thanks.
Bob

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at
the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page
numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Do you have a whole bunch of section breaks? Sounds like it. Only you can
decide whether you really need them (if they document was converted from
WordPerfect, you'll have a slew of unnecessary ones). If you really do, then
you will have to use the Show Next button on the Header and Footer toolbar
to skip to the next section, click on the Same as Previous (or Link to
Previous) button to link that footer to the previous one, which should give
you the page number. Repeat as needed for the remaining sections.

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at
the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page
numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne. Yes, the document was converted from WordPerfect, and I do
have a whole slew of unnecessary section breaks. Since I do not need them,
is there a simple way to get rid of all of the section breaks and put in
simple footers?

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at
the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page
numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You can use the Search and Replace dialog to find section breaks and replace
them with either a paragraph break (probably the sensible choice) or
nothing.

Select Replace and in the dialog, press the MORE button. At the bottom you
will see a SPECIAL button which is a drop down list of special characters
including Section Breaks (which is ^b).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle
at the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page
numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Thank you Terry. I did this and it replaced 42 section breaks with nothing.
But when I looked at the footers they still said that there were 57 section
breaks. What can I do now?

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle
at the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the
page numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in
advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Have you turned on the ShowAll command (Ctrl+Shft+*) and checked to see if
there are section breaks still present which I guess there must be. You may
need to replace the Section Breaks with a paragraph (^p) for it to work. If
that fails, copy and paste one of the section breaks into the find box and
replace with ^p (note you have to use the keyboard to copy/paste into the
Find/Replace dialog.

Terry

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle
at the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the
page numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in
advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Thanks Terry,
The Show All command really helped. Bob

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers
too high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually
some lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the
middle at the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to
move the page numbers down as low as possible on the page?
Thank you in advance.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S[_2_] Bob S[_2_] is offline

Thanks again Suzanne,
After I got a few other things taken care of, this process helped a lot.
Bob