Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy Cindy is offline

Default how do i open a document saved that says it can't find it?

I am working on a file saved on a USB stick and saved it there. It worked on
previous days when I opened it and when I opened it today it says that it
can't find the file that I had must mistyped it...so it does not open the
usual way which is really annoying because I had to open the program and
press the start & try to open it that way....will somebody help me how to
repair it so that it could go back to normal
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Never save a file directly to removeable media. Never open a file on
removeable media. Always copy your file to your hard drive before you work
on it, save it to the hard drive, then use Windows Explorer to transfer it
over to your media.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"cindy" wrote in message
I am working on a file saved on a USB stick and saved it there. It worked
on
previous days when I opened it and when I opened it today it says that it
can't find the file that I had must mistyped it...so it does not open the
usual way which is really annoying because I had to open the program and
press the start & try to open it that way....will somebody help me how to
repair it so that it could go back to normal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

Did you try browsing the files on the device through your OS instead
of through Word? If you find the file that way you can double-click on
it to open it.
File name changes can be confusing for Word because it is literal when
looking for something.
Oh, and the advice about saving to you hard drive first is absolutely
correct; never trust portable storage for permanent data!