Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Martin C Martin C is offline

Default How to put the path in the windows header bar

We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS Word, the
filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide the full path?
Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions of a particular document
(stored in different locations). It would be very useful to be able to see
which version I am currently viewing. Just the filename is not sufficient in
this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before somewhere,
but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an older version of
Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Martin C Martin C is offline

It's ok, I found a good site that showed how to do this via macros.

For anyone that is interested, look at the following, which so far seems to
be working ok.

http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/...s_in_Word.html

Martin

"Martin C" wrote in message
We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS Word,
the filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide the full
path? Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions of a particular
document (stored in different locations). It would be very useful to be
able to see which version I am currently viewing. Just the filename is not
sufficient in this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before somewhere,
but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an older version of
Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Or even better http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...teFilename.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Martin C" wrote in message
We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS Word,
the filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide the full
path? Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions of a particular
document (stored in different locations). It would be very useful to be
able to see which version I am currently viewing. Just the filename is
not sufficient in this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before somewhere,
but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an older version of
Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

Why not use Insert/Field... select FileName and check the Add Path to
Filename box?

On May 20, 6:49 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Or even betterhttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/UpdateFilename.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Martin C" wrote in message
We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS Word,
the filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide the full
path? Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions of a particular
document (stored in different locations). It would be very useful to be
able to see which version I am currently viewing. Just the filename is
not sufficient in this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before somewhere,
but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an older version of
Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Why not? Because that puts the information in the document itself, not in
the title bar as requested...

Just to throw one more possibility into the mix, you can open the Web
toolbar, and hold Ctrl+Alt while you drag a copy of the address dropdown
from that toolbar to the right end of the menu bar. When a Word document is
open, that dropdown shows the path and filename. In Word 2007, the same
dropdown can be put on the Quick Access Toolbar by selecting the "Commands
Not in the Ribbon" category in the Customize dialog and adding the Document
Location item.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Martin C" wrote in message
We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS
Word, the filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide
the full path? Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions
of a particular document (stored in different locations). It would
be very useful to be able to see which version I am currently
viewing. Just the filename is not sufficient in this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before
somewhere, but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an
older version of Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

My bad. I thought "header bar" was header not the title bar.

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

"Martin C" wrote in message
We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS
Word, the filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide
the full path? Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions
of a particular document (stored in different locations). It would
be very useful to be able to see which version I am currently
viewing. Just the filename is not sufficient in this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before
somewhere, but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an
older version of Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Here, I'll lend you my can of crystal-ball cleaner. ;-) In these groups, you
really need it.

--
Jay

"Martin C" wrote in message
We are using Office 2003 at work. In the windows header bar of MS
Word, the filename is given. Is it possible to get this to provide
the full path? Quite often I have to deal with multiple versions
of a particular document (stored in different locations). It would
be very useful to be able to see which version I am currently
viewing. Just the filename is not sufficient in this case.

I am sure that I have seen the solution to this problem before
somewhere, but it may have been via a 3rd party add on, used on an
older version of Office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Martin C Martin C is offline

My appologies to all.

I should have said 'title bar' but could not think of the name for it. I
thought 'Windows' header bar would have been clear enough, to distinguish it
from the Word header. The words Window and Bar were supposed to be the
distinction, but I can see the problem. Sorry again.

Martin

news

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so