Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mal Mal is offline

Default Search long ocument

When I open a long Word document, Id like the document to open at the page
where I left off. How can I do this? Presently, I have to scroll through the
document to find where I left off. Thanks.

Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:06:00 -0700, mal wrote:

When I open a long Word document, I’d like the document to open at the page
where I left off. How can I do this? Presently, I have to scroll through the
document to find where I left off. Thanks.

Mal

After opening the document, press Shift+F5. This is the shortcut for the GoBack
command.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Word 2007 (.docx) documents, and there is no
fix. If it doesn't work in an earlier version, you'll need the macro shown in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/GoBackFix.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Martin C Martin C is offline

Thanks Suzanne, I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts all the time in all MS
(and other) applications. This one, however, was new to me and is quite
useful. I never really understood what GoBack meant and therefore never
bothered to use the shortcut. I will now though!

Thanks again

Martin

"mal" wrote in message

When I open a long Word document, I'd like the document to open at the
page
where I left off. How can I do this? Presently, I have to scroll through
the
document to find where I left off. Thanks.

Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Elizabeth[_3_] Elizabeth[_3_] is offline

In message , Suzanne S. Barnhill
writes
In versions through Word 2003, press Shift+F5 to return to the last edit
point. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Word 2007.

I hadn't realised that - I've just recently switched to Word 2007 and
previously found the Shift+F5 facility to be very useful when working in
long documents.

Many of the documents I'm currently working on were created in Word 2003
and the Shift+F5 facility still works, but that is because I haven't
saved those documents as .docx files, just used Ctrl-S which keeps the
2003 format.

I have found that if a document is created and saved within Word 2007 as
Word 2003 format, the Shift+F5 facility still works when next opening
the document in Word 2007. Of course, there's still the problem of the
formatting not being carried over between the two versions of Word, but
my documents tend to be just plain text.

It might be a useful workaround for the original poster to create/save
his document as a 2003 doc and then save the final version as a 2007
docx and then apply the document formatting as required.

Do you happen to know why Shift-F5 isn't available in 2007? It would be
interesting to know whether that was a conscious decision by Microsoft
or if it was an accidental side-effect of the repackaging of Word.

--
Elizabeth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

I guess you know that Ctrl+End will take you to the end of any document, no
matter how long it is.

"mal" wrote in message

When I open a long Word document, I'd like the document to open at the
page
where I left off. How can I do this? Presently, I have to scroll through
the
document to find where I left off. Thanks.

Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

Does the [Shift][F5] failure also apply to the Previous Edit command?
I've always added a button for Previous Edit, but haven't tried it
2007 yet.

"mal" wrote in message

When I open a long Word document, I'd like the document to open at the
page
where I left off. How can I do this? Presently, I have to scroll through
the
document to find where I left off. Thanks.

Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Elizabeth wrote:
[snip]

Do you happen to know why Shift-F5 isn't available in 2007? It would
be interesting to know whether that was a conscious decision by
Microsoft or if it was an accidental side-effect of the repackaging
of Word.

It appears that it was an oversight, but one that isn't likely to be fixed
until the next major version.

The technical detail is this: There are several built-in bookmarks in every
document, including one named \PrevSel1 that marks the location of the most
recent edit. In the Word 97-2003 (.doc) format, the \PrevSel1 bookmark is
saved in the file (although there is a bug in some versions, explained in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/GoBackFix.htm). When you reopen the
file, the bookmark is still there and the GoBack command moves the insertion
point to it.

By an oversight, the Word 2007 (.docx, .docm) format doesn't save that
bookmark in the file -- it exists only as long as the document is in memory.
So when you close the document and later reopen it, there's no bookmark for
the GoBack command to go to. I haven't heard an explanation of whether the
problem is simply the lack of code in the Save routine to store the
bookmark, or -- more serious, but unlikely -- the lack of a place in the
file structure to store it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

FYI: I just remoted in to my home computer (where I have Office 2007)
and the Previous Edit button still exists. Although the customization
options aren't as powerful as they used to be, you can still add the
button.
So, because I have too much time on my hands, I recorded a macro of
clicking the Previous Edit button and assigned the [Shift][F5]
keystroke to it and it works fine.

On May 29, 9:51 am, "Jay Freedman" wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Elizabeth[_3_] Elizabeth[_3_] is offline

In message
,
Reitanos writes
On May 29, 9:51 am, "Jay Freedman" wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Jay: Thanks for the explanation. I don't understand a lot of the
technical stuff, but I wonder how that fits in with what Reitanos has
said. However, I don't think it would help me to know even more about
the technical side of things, although I know there are many much
smarter people around who might be interested.

Reitanos: Thanks for that. I've added the Previous Edit to the
"thingy"[1] at the top of the screen, and that works, though maybe just
the once. I have used the Record Macro facility in the past, but it took
me a while to find it (on the Developer Tab, and thank goodness somebody
had already posted here on how to add that), It does say that Shift-F5
is assigned to GoBack, and I assume that's the same as Previous Edit. By
the looks of it, it'll only be possible to go back to one previous edit,
but that will do the trick.

[1] Sorry, I've forgotten the name of the thingy where one sticks
buttons for the thingies one really wants to have easily available. I
expect the proper term will eventually reach the relevant bit of my
brain - it usually does, usually at about 4 a.m.
--
Elizabeth
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

[1] Sorry, I've forgotten the name of the thingy where one sticks buttons
for the thingies one really wants to have easily available. I expect the
proper term will eventually reach the relevant bit of my brain - it
usually does, usually at about 4 a.m.

The word (?) you're looking for is QAT (Quick Access Toolbar).

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
In message
,
Reitanos writes
On May 29, 9:51 am, "Jay Freedman" wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

[snip]

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Elizabeth[_3_] Elizabeth[_3_] is offline

In message , Suzanne S. Barnhill
writes
[1] Sorry, I've forgotten the name of the thingy where one sticks buttons
for the thingies one really wants to have easily available. I expect the
proper term will eventually reach the relevant bit of my brain - it
usually does, usually at about 4 a.m.

The word (?) you're looking for is QAT (Quick Access Toolbar).

Bless you, Suzanne. I can sleep easy tonight. If I'm woken up at 4 a.m.
tomorrow morning, I now know it'll probably be because of something
simple, like a dripping tap. My brain thanks you.

[But, I'm making a note that it's the Quick Access Toolbar. Must
remember that.]

--
Elizabeth
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Reitanos wrote:
FYI: I just remoted in to my home computer (where I have Office 2007)
and the Previous Edit button still exists. Although the customization
options aren't as powerful as they used to be, you can still add the
button.
So, because I have too much time on my hands, I recorded a macro of
clicking the Previous Edit button and assigned the [Shift][F5]
keystroke to it and it works fine.

Did you try your workaround in this situation?

- Open a Word 2007 (.docx) document.
- Make an editing change (e.g., insert and then delete a space) in the
middle of the document.
- Save and close the document.
- Reopen the document.
- Press Shift+F5.

Does the cursor go to the place where you edited in the first session? In my
testing, I found that the answer was no, regardless of whether the keystroke
was assigned to the GoBack command or the recorded macro.

Also, looking at the macro, the code that was recorded is just
"Application.GoBack". GoBack and Previous Edit are really just different
names for the same command -- one in the keyboard shortcut dialog and the
other in the Quick Access Toolbar customization dialog. Either one will work
as long as you don't close the document and reopen it, or if you save the
document in Word 97-2003 format.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

how to erase a search history in search engine tenay Microsoft Word Help 2 March 23rd 21 07:23 AM
merge search to long Curt Mailmerge 2 June 17th 08 11:46 PM
Can I apply multiple search terms in a text search and how do I d. Dave Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 08 06:23 AM
How can I search a wrod docuement with boolean search? Philos Microsoft Word Help 1 August 13th 06 09:54 PM
howto search for a word in more than one *.doc (search in all doc's in a folder)? erik Microsoft Word Help 2 February 11th 05 03:02 PM