Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

Default Word 2003 Footnote

A user in our company needs to insert many footnotes into a report. When she
does so a 2 inch long border is inserted above the footnotes at the bottom
of the page. Her boss wants the borders removed.
I can not figure out how to comply with her request.

Please help
Thanks, as usual.
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Did you look at the Borders and Shading settings?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"PA" wrote in message
A user in our company needs to insert many footnotes into a report. When
she
does so a 2 inch long border is inserted above the footnotes at the
bottom
of the page. Her boss wants the borders removed.
I can not figure out how to comply with her request.

Please help
Thanks, as usual.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's not a border; it's the Footnote Separator, which, BTW, is conventional.
To remove it (if you really, really want to), switch to Normal view, then
View | Footnotes. In the dropdown on the toolbar of the footnote pane,
select Footnote Separator. Click on the separator and delete it. You may
need to change the font size and/or line spacing of the Footnote Separator
paragraph to 1 point if you don't want any space allowed for the separator,
either.

"PA" wrote in message
A user in our company needs to insert many footnotes into a report. When
she
does so a 2 inch long border is inserted above the footnotes at the
bottom
of the page. Her boss wants the borders removed.
I can not figure out how to comply with her request.

Please help
Thanks, as usual.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

Yes I did check there and couldnt find anything.

Word created a paragraph above the footnote and added a 2 inch border. It
has the greyed out appearance of a footer when in Print Layout view but it is
above, not in the footer. The border is immediatly above the first footnote
at the bottom of the page. I can not select it or the paragraph on which it
sits, either in page layout view or in the footer.

"PA" wrote in message
A user in our company needs to insert many footnotes into a report. When
she
does so a 2 inch long border is inserted above the footnotes at the
bottom
of the page. Her boss wants the borders removed.
I can not figure out how to comply with her request.

Please help
Thanks, as usual.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

Suzanne, I assume from your response that you do not approve of removing the
Footnote Separators, and I do not disagree.
I will make a case with our admins boss. I enjoy telling our senior leaders
that they are incorrect in their requests, and have convinced many of them
often.
In any event, many thanks for the insight. I never cease to learn just
reading your offerings to the Word groups. Please do not ever stop this
valuable contribution to the those of us less learned.

Paul

"PA" wrote in message
A user in our company needs to insert many footnotes into a report. When
she
does so a 2 inch long border is inserted above the footnotes at the
bottom
of the page. Her boss wants the borders removed.
I can not figure out how to comply with her request.

Please help
Thanks, as usual.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think I detect more than a hint of irony in your response, but in any case
you have the information you need to do what you've been asked to do. g

I do think that footnote separators perform a useful function. I can
envision situations where they would not be needed (pages full of tables,
pages that have text that's already bordered), but as a general rule I can't
see why they would be objectionable. Some people who don't understand them
object to the Footnote Continuation Separator, but that's another argument.

"PA" wrote in message
A user in our company needs to insert many footnotes into a report.
When
she
does so a 2 inch long border is inserted above the footnotes at the
bottom
of the page. Her boss wants the borders removed.
I can not figure out how to comply with her request.

Please help
Thanks, as usual.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

If by my somewhate sarcastic remarks about managers is what you interpret as
irony, then you are right on.....
I continually point out to people of all persuasions (in their computing
skills) that companies like Microsoft, Adobe, etc do not spend money
inserting features and various do-dads if they were not the accepted norm.
I once worked for a company that spent a pile of money on a CRM system and
then a bigger pile re-inventing it because of considerations not the least
bit related to doing business. Rather, they needed to make it behave like
systems in place when the first computerized their business.
Sometimes job security is dependent on the sublime (or ridiculous).
Thanks again.