Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ce ce is offline

Default Page numbering in Word leaves out the number 12. Why? Help

In my document I have 19 pages. The numbering goes from 1-11, skips 12, and
then goes from 13-20? Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

ce wrote:
In my document I have 19 pages. The numbering goes from 1-11, skips
12, and then goes from 13-20? Any suggestions?

Turn on nonprinting characters (click the ¶ button) and look at the boundary
between pages 11 and 13 for a section break.

If you find one there, it may be an Odd Page break; if so, it may be there
to change other section properties, such as margins. In that case, put the
cursor on page "13". Go to File Page Setup Layout, change the section
start to "New page", and click OK.

If it's a Next Page section break, then the following section may be set
explicitly to start on page 13. To change that, put the cursor on page "13".
Go to View Header and Footer. With the cursor now in the header, the
Header & Footer toolbar should be visible. Click the Format Page Number
button on the toolbar. At the bottom of the resulting dialog, if the page
number isn't set to "Continue from previous section", click that option and
click OK.

For more help, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
larry larry is offline

I have the exact problem and checked the Layout and it is already set to "New
Page". However, when I change the Header/Footer to "Continue from pervious
section" the problem resolves itself. The issue now is that I don't want it
to continue numbering from the previous section as this section starts a TOC
and I want lower case Roman numerals. Any suggestions?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Whether the page numbers are continuous from the previous section or start with
a different number has _nothing_ to do with how the numbers are displayed,
whether Roman or Arabic.

The Roman vs. Arabic display is set by a switch in the {PAGE} field in the
header or footer. If you include the \*Roman switch, the numbers will be upper
case Roman numerals; if you include \*roman they'll be lower case roman
numerals. If you include the \*arabic switch or omit the switch completely,
they'll be digits.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
larry larry is offline

I'm afraid I was not very clear in my response. The problem is that when
there is a section break between the body and the TOC, as therer need it to
be, there is a blank page. I have checked the "page setup, layout" and all
sections are set to "New Page". The problem is that when the numbering format
in section 2 is set to
"Start At" the blank page appears. If I change it to "Continue from previous
section" the blank page disappears. Any thoughts?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It still isn't clear, but let me describe what I think is happening, and you
tell me whether it's correct...

You have section 1 containing the TOC, starting (by default) with page 1 and
with the page numbers displayed as roman numerals. At the end of section 1
is a Next Page section break.

In section 2 you want to restart the page numbers with 1, now showing arabic
numerals.

Correct so far?

Now the big guess: Section 1 contains an odd number of pages, ending on page
iii or v or some odd page number. Is that correct?

If so, then there is no simple way to avoid a blank page because Word
insists on placing odd-numbered pages (in this case, page iii in section 1
and page 1 in section 2) on right-hand pages. There must be an even-numbered
page between the sections (iv or 0) that will be blank. When you make the
page numbering continue from the previous section, the first page of section
2 takes the even number (4) so there is no blank.

You could try faking out Word by starting the numbering of section 2 at page
0, and then replacing the {PAGE} fields with the calculated field {= {PAGE}
+ 1}. That would get rid of the blank while showing the page numbers you
want. The problem is that now the TOC will show the wrong page numbers, and
there's no way to fix that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
larry larry is offline

Really? I have been working with Word for years and never knew that about
sections and page numbers. But what you described is exactly what is
happening with one caveat. Pages 1-7 are the body and the last two are the
TOC. Using your "fake out" would work (because it would be in the TOC) except
we want lower case roman numerals and when I tell it to start at zero, I get
an error message that it has to start between 1 and 32776. I guess the Romans
didn't have anything to symbolize zero. So from your description, it sounds
like there is nothing I can do about it. Correct?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Just turn the formula around. Start the TOC section with page 2 instead of
0, and change the field to {= {PAGE} - 1}.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Robert is offline

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:41:36 -0400, Jay Freedman wrote:

there is no simple way to avoid a blank page because Word
insists on placing odd-numbered pages (in this case, page iii in section 1
and page 1 in section 2) on right-hand pages.

There is a reason why Word insists on placing odd-numbered pages on
right-hand pages.

Here is from http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texi.../texi_28.html:

´By convention, a book is printed on both sides of each sheet of paper.
When you open a book, the right-hand page is odd-numbered, and chapters
begin on right-hand pages--a preceding left-hand page is left blank if
necessary. Reports, however, are often printed on just one side of paper,
and chapters begin on a fresh page immediately following the end of the
preceding chapter. In short or informal reports, chapters often do not
begin on a new page at all, but are separated from the preceding text by a
small amount of whitespace.¡

Also here is from
http://www.wiley.com/legacy/authors/.../6content.htm:

´Part titles always start on a right-hand page. The chapter following a
part title begins on the next right-hand page. Chapters may start on left-
or right-hand pages. However, many authors prefer to begin all chapters on
right-hand pages. Either method is acceptable, but once a system is chosen,
it must be used throughout the entire book. It is necessary to stress that
all even-numbered pages are left-hand pages (or verso pages) and that all
odd-numbered pages are right-hand pages (or recto pages). It is important
that you follow this standardized publishing rule.¡

This is the standard rule of pagination for duplex-printed documents.

As a result, documents (or books) often have blank pages when a section
ends on a right-hand page, and the next section also ends on a right-hand
page. The preceding left-hand page is traditionally left blank.

Hope this helps.
--
Cheers
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I didn't intend my post to sound as if Word was being arbitrary. Certainly
the placement of odd-numbered pages is standard, at least for left-to-right
languages. Sometimes, though, people really don't care about that as much as
they want to avoid blank pages. Word doesn't have any setting to override
the behavior.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman