Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ICM ICM is offline

Default How to set a view/review mode for each file?

Hello,
Somebody sent me a file containting review/comparison marks, and ever since,
even other files open in a review mode. I manualy go back to normal mode at
Review, Final (instead of Show Final Markup).
Is there a way to make it always be "final" automatically?

Also, word opens some files in View mode of "print layout", while I need
them in "draft" view. How to make it "remember" the viewing mode I want?
Saving doesn't help.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Final showing markup" is selected by default (in the Tracking group of the
Review tab), but this has no effect unless Track Changes is also turned on
for the document. Are you saying that it is, so that (for example)
insertions are marked when you edit the document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ICM" wrote in message
Hello,
Somebody sent me a file containting review/comparison marks, and ever
since,
even other files open in a review mode. I manualy go back to normal mode
at
Review, Final (instead of Show Final Markup).
Is there a way to make it always be "final" automatically?

Also, word opens some files in View mode of "print layout", while I need
them in "draft" view. How to make it "remember" the viewing mode I want?
Saving doesn't help.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ICM ICM is offline

Yes, it shows modifications after a certain point (even older since last
saving/opening the file).
"Track changes" seems to be on - how do I turn it off?

Thank you!

"ICM" wrote in message
Hello,
Somebody sent me a file containting review/comparison marks, and ever
since,
even other files open in a review mode. I manualy go back to normal mode
at
Review, Final (instead of Show Final Markup).
Is there a way to make it always be "final" automatically?

Also, word opens some files in View mode of "print layout", while I need
them in "draft" view. How to make it "remember" the viewing mode I want?
Saving doesn't help.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The behavior depends on what version of Word you are using.

The default for W2000 is to open the document in the view that it was
saved in.

The default behavior for 2002--2007 is to open the document in final showing
markup view if the document has revision marks (tracked changes or comments)
in it. The default behavior does not actually turn track changes ON (I mean,
it does not start the collection of new changes.) It is a security feature
to alert you that the file has changes and comments.

As you've discovered, changing the view to Final is a temporary measure. You
could also accept all changes and delete all comments in the files you open.
And, to answer your last question--at last--you can change the default
behavior by clearing the check box next to "Make hidden markup visible when
opening and saving". That check box is under Privacy Options in W2007. I
don't remember where it is in W2003.

This setting would be for your computer and would not affect the document
view when loaded on another computer. Note that changing the setting could
leave you vulnerable to unknowingly sending information that you might prefer
not to send.

PamC

ICM wrote:
Yes, it shows modifications after a certain point (even older since last
saving/opening the file).
"Track changes" seems to be on - how do I turn it off?

Thank you!

"Final showing markup" is selected by default (in the Tracking group of the
Review tab), but this has no effect unless Track Changes is also turned on

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To add to what Pam has said, instructions for turning off Track Changes and
Accept All Changes in Document can be found at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...gesWorks.html; the
article applies to versions up to Word 2003. For Word 2007, the
corresponding commands can be found on the Review tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP