Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stargazer7 stargazer7 is offline

Default Header styles - renumbering is not working properly - going insane

All,

I'm aiming to be brief here . . . please let me know if I need to submit
more info.

I'm using M$ Word 2002 with WinXP Pro SP2.

I was having horrendous problems with styled Headers and numbering. I
followed Shauna Kelly's wonderful instructions to the letter, from this link:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

After creating new header styles and numbering, I tried to renumber an
existing document. When the numbering fell apart, my next idea was to start
a fresh document with "dummy" paragraphs consisting of X's, and placing the
numbering needed for the document on which I've been working.

After a level-2 entry of "1.2", I successfully inserted numbers "1.2.1"
through "1.2.5." I followed this with level-2 entry "1.3" which had/has NO
level-3 sub-headings. After entering a level-2 entry "1.4", I selected
level-3 numbering, which suddenly fell apart, displaying as "1.2.1."

When modifying the styles for "Header 1," "Header 2" etc., I selected
"Restart numbering after Level 2," as indicated in Ms. Kelley's instructions.
Apparently, Word decided to begin renumbering with the first digit instead
of the second digit. If I try "correcting" the numbering manually, so that
(in this example) it reads "1.4.1," all of the correctly-numbered headings
under "1,2" are ALSO changed to "1.4.X."

I can understand getting errors when trying to use newly-created
outline/numbering styles in an existing document, but I don't know why (or
what) is happening when I've started with a fresh document.

Any and all constructive comments and advice greatly appreciated (before I'm
ready for a one-way trip to the funny farm).

cheers,

In preface, I tried to
--
Dave G.,
PC builder (and destroyer)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the Outline Numbering dialog, make sure that the level 2 number is a
field (gray-shaded) and not a typed-in number 2. It may be easiest to
reconstruct the numbering from scratch at that level. Delete everything in
the "Number format" box. From the "Previous level number" list, choose Level
1, which will insert a field for that number. Type a period. Then choose
Level 2, followed by a period. Then choose "1, 2, 3" from the "Number style"
list to insert the number for the current level, followed by a period.

Also, be aware that numbering may not be correct if the numbered paragraphs
don't contain any text or if Track Changes is on and changes haven't been
accepted.

"stargazer7" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stargazer7 stargazer7 is offline

Default Header styles - renumbering is not working properly - going in

Suzanne,

Thank you very much for your instructions. I was in fact successful in
'fixing' level-3 numbering by using your "from scratch" method. However,
after entering level-1 numbers "2.0" and "3.0," it fell apart again when I
selected level-2 header -- I got "1.1" instead of "3.1."

The bad news is, I couldn't fix it this time. When trying to use your
"from scratch" method to fix the numbering, I only have "Level 1" to choose
from, to have it insert numbers into the "Number Format" box. Since I need
to do this for TWO digits (Level 2), this doesn't work. If I manually change
the first digit, it of course screws up all Level-2 header numbering in the
document.

Sorry to throw you a curve, I've hit a brick wall again. I've gotten this
far, and I don't wish to create a huge mess by "experimenting" on my own.

Thanks again,
Dave G.
--
Dave G.,
PC builder (and destroyer)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For Level 2 numbering, you use Level 1 to insert the previous level and "1,
2, 3" to get the current level. That's true at all levels.

Make sure you're doing this correctly: go in through Format | Style for the
top level (assumed to be Heading 1) and make all the changes from the Modify
Style dialog (Format | Numbering). Always use the currently selected list
(the highlighted pane in the list gallery).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lynn Teller Lynn Teller is offline

Default Header styles - renumbering

Dave,
My suggestion is to take a second look at Shauna's section 2.3 Numbering for all lower levels. It sounds like a "Restart Numbering After" issue. Figure 1 illustrates a situation similar to yours.

Lynn