Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
William William is offline

Default DISAPPEARING HEADER AND FOOTER

Word 2003/XP

I have a Word doc that has copy on pg. 1 and 2. At the end of the copy on
page 2, a Section break/Page Break has been inserted that creates a blank p.
3, which I want to get rid of. When I put the cursor on the section break
and delete it, the extra page disappears, but so does the footer on p.1 and
the header on p.2. Page 1 has a different header than p.2 and is not
affected when the section break is deleted. I cannot figure out why the
aforementioned footer and header disappear when the section break is deleted.
Ideas
--
William
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Section breaks can be tricky. See this article:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm

The article explains how it works and explains how you can safely delete a
section break.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"William" wrote:

Word 2003/XP

I have a Word doc that has copy on pg. 1 and 2. At the end of the copy on
page 2, a Section break/Page Break has been inserted that creates a blank p.
3, which I want to get rid of. When I put the cursor on the section break
and delete it, the extra page disappears, but so does the footer on p.1 and
the header on p.2. Page 1 has a different header than p.2 and is not
affected when the section break is deleted. I cannot figure out why the
aforementioned footer and header disappear when the section break is deleted.
Ideas
--
William

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_220_] Henk57[_220_] is offline

William;2861132 Wrote:
Word 2003/XP

I have a Word doc that has copy on pg. 1 and 2. At the end of the copy
on
page 2, a Section break/Page Break has been inserted that creates a
blank p.
3, which I want to get rid of. When I put the cursor on the section
break
and delete it, the extra page disappears, but so does the footer on p.1
and
the header on p.2. Page 1 has a different header than p.2 and is not
affected when the section break is deleted. I cannot figure out why
the
aforementioned footer and header disappear when the section break is
deleted.
Ideas
--
William

The behaviour you describe is normal for Word. The last pilcrow of a
section stores document settings "under water" for that section (the
last one of the document likewise for the entire doc, in case there is
no section break). When you remove the section break #1, the settings
of the next section break (#2) dictate the behaviour of the previous
section (now merged with the previous section #2). The separate
header/footer on page 1 is because you have ticked the box "Different
first page" in Page/Set-up [Layout].

--
Henk57

Footer disappearing Larry Page Layout 1 March 18th 08 12:23 AM
Disappearing header Jen Page Layout 1 August 28th 07 12:29 AM
Disappearing Footer Patou Page Layout 0 July 12th 07 12:42 AM
Disappearing Header/Footer in Page layout JoAnn Microsoft Word Help 7 November 28th 05 06:05 PM
Disappearing Header and Footer Redglide90 Microsoft Word Help 2 February 21st 05 08:36 PM