Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SammyH SammyH is offline

Default Headers and Page Numbers Word 2007

Hi

I have a 500 page document divided into multiple files. Each file has its
own multiple sections separated by section breaks (next page).
I simply cannot get the page numbering to work.
I insert the headers which correctly change at each section
This works fine
I then try to insert the page number starting from(say) 289
The page numbers should be at the top and outside of the page so different
for Even and Odd pages
Word 2007 either puts the page number up either against my centralised
header or on the left of the page or just as a number that doesnt increment.
Sometimes it puts it in a text box and sometimes it doesn't
I must be doing something wrong. Is there a definitive set of instructions
somewhere?

Many thanks

Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Sammy,

The simplest method for getting the page number where you want it to go is to:
.. go into the header,
.. position the cursor where the page number should appear,
.. press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (ie '{}'),
.. type 'PAGE' between the field braces (ie '{PAGE}'), then
.. press F9 to update the field.
Once you've done that, use Word's page number formatting tools to set the starting #.

--
Cheers
macropod

"SammyH" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SammyH SammyH is offline

Thanks Macropod for your help but unsuccessful Im afraid

I can successfully place the Field code but it refuses to behave in that
will not increment the numbers.
It will also not alternate on Left /Right side of the page.
I have tried putting the field code in a text box and anchoring it to the L
or R side of the page with no success.
Additionally because there is already existing headers which change at each
section,
When I use Edit header/ Page number it places the number against the
existing centralised header and the only way I can space it to the Left or
right is by using Tabs or Spaces. This throws out the header. (hence the
attempt at text boxes)
The document is for publication in hard cover so I am very resricted in what
I can do with the page numbers. I have to conform to my publishers format.
Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Sam

"SammyH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"SammyH" wrote in message
Thanks Macropod for your help but unsuccessful Im afraid

I can successfully place the Field code but it refuses to behave in that
will not increment the numbers.

If the PAGE field is in the actual header text, this should not be a
problem.

Also, note that if you are seeing { PAGE } instead of the actual page
numbers, use Alt+F9 to hide the field codes (for PAGE as well as other
fields).

It will also not alternate on Left /Right side of the page.
I have tried putting the field code in a text box and anchoring it to the
L or R side of the page with no success.

Enable the Different Odd & Even Pages option in the Options group of the
Header & Footer Tools Design ribbon to have different left and right headers
(and footers).

Additionally because there is already existing headers which change at
each section,
When I use Edit header/ Page number it places the number against the
existing centralised header and the only way I can space it to the Left or
right is by using Tabs or Spaces. This throws out the header. (hence the
attempt at text boxes)

To position the header contents, you can use left, center, and right tab
stops, or you can use a three-column table (without border lines).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SammyH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think the problem here may be that Word is inserting page numbers in a
text box or frame (as it did from Insert | Page Numbers in previous
versions). If "Current Position" is selected instead of one of the Top of
Page or Bottom of Page options, the number can be inserted directly in the
header/footer at the desired position (established with tabs, paragraph
alignment, or a table).

"SammyH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Good point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SammyH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I experimented with this a little, and I don't think Word does use a frame
any more (though I thought I had experienced that in previous experiments),
but it is certainly true that the header/footer and page number building
blocks can be mutually exclusive, leaving "Current Position" of the only way
to insert a page number without deleting the existing header/footer.

"SammyH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also note that the building blocks might very well add direct formatting
such as right alignment when inserting contents, which might lead to
(additional) trouble. sigh

Now that's another reason how a feature which should simplify things for
users actually cause confusion. :-(

On the other hand, I guess this is a good reason for everyone to learn
create their own headers/footers or, which would be even better, their own
templates.