Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike[_13_] Mike[_13_] is offline

Default Text Over Picture

I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into Win07.
I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print over the pic (fill out
the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't move the cursor
with the mouse, but it will respond to the tab, space and left-arrow keys.
I would like to be able to type over the pic in the normal fashion of
entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Mike,

You could put the image into the document header, rather than the body. Then you should be able to type over it in the normal
manner.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Mike" wrote in message ...
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print
over the pic (fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't move the cursor with the mouse, but it will
respond to the tab, space and left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in the normal fashion of entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike[_13_] Mike[_13_] is offline

Thanks macropod,

I tried putting the image in a header, but it doesn't work. I just get the
"grab" icon when I click any place in the image.

I don't know why "text through image" and "send behind text" don't do the
job.

I have been able to overtype the form just as you would do with a
typewriter: enter key, tab keys, space bar and alpha/num keys. But I can't
just put the cursor anywhere on the form and type - again, I just get the
"grab" cursor anywhere I click with the mouse.

To get to a spot, say in the middle of the form, I have to hit enter key
(cursor starts at top left of the form) 15 or 20 times to get it to the line
I want and then tab or space over to the location on that line.

Should be and interesting experiment for someone to test. Just scan any 8
1/2 by 11 paper and try to get it to work.

Thanks again

"Mike" wrote in message
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into
Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print over the pic
(fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't move
the cursor with the mouse, but it will respond to the tab, space and
left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in the
normal fashion of entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Think about it: If you didn't have the picture behind the text, you wouldn't
be able to place the cursor anywhere on the page and type, either. And
that's what you're doing--just entering text in a document that happens to
have a background picture. Either enable (shudder) "Click and type," which
will allow you to type anywhere (double-click where you want to type), or
use normal text placement techniques (tabs, indents, Space Before), or
insert text boxes or frames to contain the text.

"Mike" wrote in message
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into
Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print over the pic
(fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't
move the cursor with the mouse, but it will respond to the tab, space and
left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in the
normal fashion of entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike[_13_] Mike[_13_] is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, for clarifying the "behind text" feature.

"Click and Type" doesn't make any difference. The mouse cursor is the
"grab" icon. When I double-click, nothing changes. "Click and Type" is
enabled by default at installation and has been active the whole time I've
been trying to get this to work.

"Mike" wrote in message
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into
Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print over the pic
(fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't
move the cursor with the mouse, but it will respond to the tab, space
and left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in the
normal fashion of entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

That's probably because, while the image is in the body of the document and is covering a blank area, there's no text for it to be
behind. Therefore, clicking over the image selects it.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Mike" wrote in message ...
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print
over the pic (fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't move the cursor with the mouse, but it will
respond to the tab, space and left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in the normal fashion of entering
text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike[_13_] Mike[_13_] is offline

Default Text Over Picture - Solved

You're right. I solved it by inserting a transparent rectangular autoshape
the size of the form and putting the pic behind it. Still works like a text
box-you've got to have an area covered with text to move the cursor to it.
Thought about making a macro to fill the transparent autoshape with blanks.
Then I could move the cursor anywhere on the page.

"Mike" wrote in message
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into
Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print over the pic
(fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't
move the cursor with the mouse, but it will respond to the tab, space
and left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in
the normal fashion of entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike[_13_] Mike[_13_] is offline

Default Text Over Picture - Update

I filled a transparent, page-size autoshape with blanks. Brought it forward.
Then saved it as a .dotx file. I open the .dotx file and insert my scanned
..jpg file. I can now click the cursor anywhere on the page and "X" a box,
fill in text data, etc. Then I either fax the form back to the vendor or
print if I need to. Will work for any form scanned as a picture file.