Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yourbrighteyes yourbrighteyes is offline

Default adjusting page numbers

I'm making a document. I don't want the cover page or the table of contents
numbered, and I want page 1 to start on the page after the table of contents.
I've managed to get this to work, however, my page numbers are in the format
of page 1 of 10. The 10 is including the cover page and the table of
contents. Is there a way to adjust this so the page numbers only include the
main portion of the document?
I've tried to manually adjust the 10 to read 8 (minus cover page and table
of contents), however, doing this means that if any more pages are added to
the body of the document still keep the number page 9 of 8 and so on, .
Any suggestions?
thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

yourbrighteyes wrote:
I'm making a document. I don't want the cover page or the table of
contents numbered, and I want page 1 to start on the page after the
table of contents. I've managed to get this to work, however, my page
numbers are in the format of page 1 of 10. The 10 is including the
cover page and the table of contents. Is there a way to adjust this
so the page numbers only include the main portion of the document?
I've tried to manually adjust the 10 to read 8 (minus cover page and
table of contents), however, doing this means that if any more pages
are added to the body of the document still keep the number page 9 of
8 and so on, .
Any suggestions?
thanks!

There are a couple of ways.

I assume the way you "got it to work" was to insert a section break between
the table of contents and the next page, and restart page numbering at page
1 in the second section.

If the document is now exactly two sections, and will always be exactly two
sections, there's a very simple fix. In the "Page X of Y" format, the "Y" is
now a NumPages field (which always shows the total number of pages in the
document). Right-click the field, choose Toggle Field Code, and change that
to a SectionPages field. Press F9 to update, or go to Page Preview and back.

The other method is more suitable if there are (or could later be) more than
two sections in the document -- for example, if you insert section breaks in
order to make a landscape page in the middle of the document. Insert a
bookmark on the last page and name it, for example, LastPage. Then replace
the "Y" field with a PageRef field containing the name of the bookmark, in
this example {PageRef LastPage}. You do have to be careful not to delete the
bookmark or overwrite it, and if you add more pages at the end of the
document then you will have to relocate the bookmark to the new last page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman