Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
koala824 at Comcast koala824 at Comcast is offline

Default TOC Entries as Bookmarks (Word 2003)

Is there any way to make all my Table of Content entries into bookmarks as
well? I am looking for a way to quickly move between sections that are
titled with TOC entries. Is there a better way than with bookmarks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Headings are automatically bookmarked for purposes of cross-references and
hyperlinks. In the Insert Hyperlink dialog, choose "Place in This Document"
to see all your headings listed.

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
Is there any way to make all my Table of Content entries into bookmarks as
well? I am looking for a way to quickly move between sections that are
titled with TOC entries. Is there a better way than with bookmarks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
koala824 at Comcast koala824 at Comcast is offline

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me a bit more help on how to navigate my
document using the Headings that populate my TOC? Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Headings are automatically bookmarked for purposes of cross-references and
hyperlinks. In the Insert Hyperlink dialog, choose "Place in This
Document" to see all your headings listed.

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
Is there any way to make all my Table of Content entries into bookmarks
as well? I am looking for a way to quickly move between sections that are
titled with TOC entries. Is there a better way than with bookmarks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm not sure quite what you're trying to do. To begin with, if you insert a
TOC, all the entries are already linked to the corresponding headings. Then,
if you want to insert a link or cross-reference to a heading at some other
point in the document, you use Insert | Hyperlink or Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference.

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply. Can you give me a bit more help on how to navigate
my document using the Headings that populate my TOC? Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Headings are automatically bookmarked for purposes of cross-references
and hyperlinks. In the Insert Hyperlink dialog, choose "Place in This
Document" to see all your headings listed.

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
Is there any way to make all my Table of Content entries into bookmarks
as well? I am looking for a way to quickly move between sections that
are titled with TOC entries. Is there a better way than with bookmarks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
koala824 at Comcast koala824 at Comcast is offline

Suzanne,
Thanks for your reply and patience. I have created a TOC that contains all
my Heading 1 items, and it correctly updates changes, additions, and
deletions as intended. What I am looking for now is an easy way to jump
around my document from one heading to another. I would rather not have to
jump to the TOC and then to my destination (CTRL-click method) and I do not
want to have to manually create bookmarks that duplicate my headings.
Ideally, one keystroke would produce a list of my headings and a single
click on a heading in the list would take me to the place in my document
where that heading exists. I am probably not describing all this with the
correct terminology, but hopefully you can see the basic idea. Thanks again.
George Pierce

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay. The functionality you describe does not really exist in current
versions. If you press Ctrl+G and select Heading, you can go to a specific
heading, but Word doesn't provide a list of them. You have to enter a number
that represents the difference between your current location and the heading
you're trying for; that is, if you want the fourth heading after the current
one, you enter +4 (minus to go back). I can't imagine that anyone would
actually use that. Alternatively, if you have the browse object set to
Heading, you can click the browse arrows to jump from one heading to the
next (but all levels are included).

Your best bet, however, is the Document Map, which displays all your
headings. Click on one to go to it. This is a per-user setting, not
something that you can incorporate in a document you intend to share. If you
don't want the DM displayed all the time, you could assign a keyboard
shortcut to it; this would then answer your requirement to have something
that responds to a keystroke.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
koala824 at Comcast koala824 at Comcast is offline

Document Map is just what I was looking for. There seem to be 'random' blank
lines interspersed with some of the headings in the list, but that is just
a minor curiosity. Thanks for your help.
George Pierce

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The random blank lines would probably be empty paragraphs (or manual page
breaks) to which a heading style has been applied. You do want to take care
of those, as they'll foul up your TOC as well. See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm (and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html).