Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Benjamin Barrett Benjamin Barrett is offline

Default continuous section break changes to new page - Word 2007

For a journal article, I need a single-column section followed by a
double-column section, where the seam between the two is on the same page.

In Word, I place the cursor at the beginning of the section that needs to be
double-column and insert a continuous break. Voila: It jumps to the next
page. The other method is to place the cursor in the same location and select
two columns beginning at that point in the document. Again, the text jumps to
the next page.

Does anyone know how to break this correctly?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See "Section break causes an unexpected page break in Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074

"Benjamin Barrett" wrote in
message ...
For a journal article, I need a single-column section followed by a
double-column section, where the seam between the two is on the same page.

In Word, I place the cursor at the beginning of the section that needs to
be
double-column and insert a continuous break. Voila: It jumps to the next
page. The other method is to place the cursor in the same location and
select
two columns beginning at that point in the document. Again, the text jumps
the next page.

Does anyone know how to break this correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Benjamin Barrett Benjamin Barrett is offline

Thank you for that. As the article notes, the workaround does not work for
multiple columns.

At least I know that it's just not possible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Section break causes an unexpected page break in Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074

"Benjamin Barrett" wrote in
message ...
For a journal article, I need a single-column section followed by a
double-column section, where the seam between the two is on the same page.

In Word, I place the cursor at the beginning of the section that needs to
be
double-column and insert a continuous break. Voila: It jumps to the next
page. The other method is to place the cursor in the same location and
select
two columns beginning at that point in the document. Again, the text jumps
the next page.

Does anyone know how to break this correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the problem is footnotes, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm

"Benjamin Barrett" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Section break causes an unexpected page break in Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074

"Benjamin Barrett" wrote in
message ...
For a journal article, I need a single-column section followed by a
double-column section, where the seam between the two is on the same
page.

In Word, I place the cursor at the beginning of the section that needs
be
double-column and insert a continuous break. Voila: It jumps to the
next
page. The other method is to place the cursor in the same location and
select
two columns beginning at that point in the document. Again, the text
jumps
the next page.

Does anyone know how to break this correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Benjamin Barrett Benjamin Barrett is offline

Thank you for that, too! Hopefully Microsoft will fix this, but in the
meantime, I think trying to avoid the situation is the best policy.