Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gregory John Gregory is offline

Default Track Changes - Accept-Reject buttons greyed out

When using the Track Changes feature, the Accept-Reject buttons are greyed
out. They don't do anything. I can go to the individual changes, however I
can not accept or reject them using any of the standard methods (right clik
on change, or toolbar).

The document was an existing document I made changes in, now I can not
accpet these to get the final document. Any ideas?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Track Changes - Accept-Reject buttons greyed out

It sounds like the Track Changes feature may be locked or protected in some way. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check if the document is protected: Go to the Review tab and click on the Protect Document button. If the Protect Document button is highlighted, it means the document is protected. Click on it to unprotect the document.
  2. Check if the Track Changes feature is locked: Go to the Review tab and click on the Track Changes button. If the Track Changes button is highlighted, it means the feature is locked. Click on it to unlock the feature.
  3. Check if the document is in Compatibility Mode: If the document was created in an earlier version of Word, it may be in Compatibility Mode. Go to the File tab and click on Info. If it says "Compatibility Mode" next to the document name, click on Convert to update the document to the latest version of Word.
  4. Try copying the content to a new document: If none of the above steps work, try copying the content to a new document. Go to the Home tab, select all the content in the document (Ctrl+A), and copy it (Ctrl+C). Open a new document and paste the content (Ctrl+V). Turn on Track Changes and see if the Accept-Reject buttons work.

I hope one of these steps helps you resolve the issue.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should be able to access the Accept/Reject buttons only when you
have a change selected. If you don't, it ought to give you the drop-
down menu that has (among others) the Accept All Changes option.

If you want to Accept (or Reject) All the Changes, click not on the
button, but on the tiny down-arrow next to the check-mark (or x-out)
button

On Aug 13, 2:39 pm, John Gregory
wrote:
When using the Track Changes feature, the Accept-Reject buttons are greyed
out. They don't do anything. I can go to the individual changes, however I
can not accept or reject them using any of the standard methods (right clik
on change, or toolbar).

The document was an existing document I made changes in, now I can not
accpet these to get the final document. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gregory John Gregory is offline

All of those features are greyd-out and not available, the only ones that
work are the arrows to go between changes - that's it. I am very familiar
with how track changes works normally, but for some unknown reason, none of
the usual methods work.

If I open a new document and track changes, everything works normally.

As a work around, I saved the document as a text file, then saved the text
file as a doc file and now it works, however I lost all of my formatting.

wrote:
When using the Track Changes feature, the Accept-Reject buttons are greyed
out. They don't do anything. I can go to the individual changes, however I
can not accept or reject them using any of the standard methods (right clik
on change, or toolbar).

The document was an existing document I made changes in, now I can not
accpet these to get the final document. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gregory John Gregory is offline

That was it! Thank you for your help.

I have never run across that before