Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ernesto ernesto is offline

Default Table orientation on landscape pages (word 2007)

Hello,
My question is about table orientation, not about text orientation.

I've just about completed writing a 400 page document (thesis). I'm the
correction process.
In one section, I have one large and long table (9 pages long) presented in
landscape fashion in its own section. I had printed a proof with the table
which was oriented "normally" for a book type binding with text on both sides
of the page:
i.e. the back of the left-hand page reading towards the binding and the
front of the right-hand page reading from the binding outwards - in such a
way that you could run through the table by turning the document 1/4th of a
turn clockwise and simply flipping the pages over-. All was ok, however, I
needed to insert column headers for each page to make things even more
"readable".

I inserted headers for each page using the automatic procedure.
When I printed to proof read (book-like, two sides), I found that all table
orientation had been changed: the back of the left-hand pages read from the
the binding outwards, and the front of the right-hand pages did the same
making it impossible to follow the long table by just flipping over the
pages. One now has to turn the document 1/4th of a turn counter-clockwise to
read the first left-hand page, and then 1/2 turn the other way to read the
following and so on.

Last and really quite anoying, is that ALL of the other landscape tables in
the document changed orientations also (each in its own section).

I undid the column headers = same;
I changed to word 2003 and ran the document through another machine and
printer = same;
I went through the complete set of options, including using the word print
option for manual back and front. This last case gave table pages oriented
inversely (left-hand page from the binding out, and right-hand page from the
right towards the binding. This happens on both machines with both Word 2007
and 2003 and with two different printers.

At this point All I can say is:
1. It's not coming from the printer (same "behavior" on 2 different printers
on 2 different machines);
2. It seems to be coming from the original word 2007 document;
3. I'm not aware of where the instruction may be situated

Is there a known way to easily "turn the orientation back to normal"?

Thanks in advance,

E.