Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Default Keyboard layout switched to Greek.

I was setting up AutoCorrect symbols and my keyboard switched to Greek
letters. How did I change the keyboard to Greek and how do I change it back
to US within Word. When I exited and reopened Word the Keyboard was back to
US.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Keyboard layout switched to Greek.

It sounds like you accidentally changed the keyboard layout to Greek while setting up AutoCorrect symbols. This can happen if you accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut or if you have multiple keyboard layouts installed on your computer.

To change the keyboard layout back to US within Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options dialog box, click on "Language" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Under "Choose Editing Languages", select "English (United States)" from the drop-down menu.
  5. Click on "Set as Default" to make this the default language for all new documents.
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes and close the Word Options dialog box.

If you accidentally switch to a different keyboard layout in the future, you can switch back to the US layout by pressing the Windows key + Spacebar on your keyboard. This will cycle through all the keyboard layouts you have installed on your computer.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Zorrina Zorrina is offline

Not sure if this will work. In Word 2003, there is an option that switches
kyboard language automatically. Tools --_ Options -- Edit

"Mecalith" wrote:

I was setting up AutoCorrect symbols and my keyboard switched to Greek
letters. How did I change the keyboard to Greek and how do I change it back
to US within Word. When I exited and reopened Word the Keyboard was back to
US.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Alternative keyboard settings are configured in Windows regional settings
and you can switch between them (by default) with Left ALT + Shift, or by
clicking the icon on the language bar. You can add the language bar to the
Windows task bar.

If you have Word's language option to autodetect language it will switch
automatically. Turn that option off.

Mecalith wrote:
I was setting up AutoCorrect symbols and my keyboard switched to Greek
letters. How did I change the keyboard to Greek and how do I change
it back to US within Word. When I exited and reopened Word the
Keyboard was back to US.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Hello, Graham.

Under Word 2007 Options, the €śAutomatically switch keyboard to match
language of surrounding text€ť is unchecked.

Under Vista language options, I only have English installed.

The keyboard only changed for within Word; it remained US in my other open
programs. I havent been able to reproduce the effect, so it is probably
some bizzaro anomaly.

Thank you for your help.

Note:
Switch Input Language: Left Alt + Shift
Switch Keyboard Layout: Left Ctrl + Shift
Under €ťRegional and Language Options€ť you can €śChange the Key Sequence€ť such
that the switches are unassigned.