Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bob Arnett Bob Arnett is offline

Default selecting non-contiguous cells to apply protection exception

I need to apply document protection exception to a multitude of table cells
and would think there must be a way to select more than one at a time. I can
select multiple columns or multiple rows or multiple contiguous groups but
unfortunately the cells I need to "unprotect" are not arranged in that
manner. So... how can one select multiple non-contiguous single cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If this really is for Word, protection can only be applied on a Document
Section by Document Section basis, not to individual Cells or ranges of
Cells in a table.

Are you dealing with Word or Excel.

The nearest thing that you could come to it in Word would be to insert
FormFields into the Cells of a table that you do NOT want to protect and
then apply Protection for Filling in Forms to the Section of the document
that contains the table. Be aware though that applying such Protection to a
document does restrict other things that you can do with the document, even
Sections that are not Protected.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bob Arnett" wrote in message
I need to apply document protection exception to a multitude of table cells
and would think there must be a way to select more than one at a time. I
can
select multiple columns or multiple rows or multiple contiguous groups but
unfortunately the cells I need to "unprotect" are not arranged in that
manner. So... how can one select multiple non-contiguous single cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bob Arnett Bob Arnett is offline

This is Word 2007 and it does allow me to do this if I select multiple rows
or multiple columns or multiple cells that are contiguous. I am also able to
select one individual cell of a table at a time and mark it as exempt. This
is not to protect them but to exempt them from protection when I protect the
document. This works fine but I thought there must be a way to select all of
the individual non-contiguous cells like one can select multiple rows or
multiple columns by holding down "CTRL" when clicking on them. Unfortunately
this selection process does not seem to work with individual cells.

"Bob Arnett" wrote in message
I need to apply document protection exception to a multitude of table cells
and would think there must be a way to select more than one at a time. I
can
select multiple columns or multiple rows or multiple contiguous groups but
unfortunately the cells I need to "unprotect" are not arranged in that
manner. So... how can one select multiple non-contiguous single cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Bob Arnett" wrote:
This is Word 2007 and it does allow me to do this if I select multiple
rows
or multiple columns or multiple cells that are contiguous. I am also able
select one individual cell of a table at a time and mark it as exempt.
This
is not to protect them but to exempt them from protection when I protect
the
document. This works fine but I thought there must be a way to select all
of
the individual non-contiguous cells like one can select multiple rows or
multiple columns by holding down "CTRL" when clicking on them.
Unfortunately
this selection process does not seem to work with individual cells.

Hi Bob,

It should work (though it's somewhat cumbersome) if you triple-click into
the cells while holding down the CTRL key.

If the cell contains more than one paragraph, you'd have to triple-click
into the last paragraph.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bob Arnett Bob Arnett is offline

Perfect. Ah, the old "triple-click" trick. That never crossed my mind.
Thanks. I love it when I learn something new.