Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
owyheerover owyheerover is offline

Default How to copy table cell shading to another cell in Word?

I have added cell shading to a table cell in word. Now I would like to
repeat this color in another cell. But I cannot figure out what the current
color is.

The "Shading" tool does not display the current shading of the cell.

When the cell was first shaded, the color was then displayed in the
"recently used colors" list. But since closing word and reopening, this list
is blank.

How can I determine what the cell shading is, or copy the shading to another
cell?

Thanks.

--
Bill Clark
www.earthpoint.us
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to copy table cell shading to another cell in Word?

Hi Bill,

Copying cell shading in Word is actually quite easy. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell that has the shading you want to copy.
  2. Right-click on the cell and choose "Copy" from the context menu.
  3. Select the cell where you want to apply the shading.
  4. Right-click on the cell and choose "Paste Special" from the context menu.
  5. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, choose "Formats" and click "OK".

This will copy the shading from the first cell to the second cell. You can repeat this process for as many cells as you need.

If you want to know what the current shading color is, you can use the "Eyedropper" tool. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell with the shading you want to identify.
  2. Click on the "Design" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Shading" button to open the "Shading" dropdown menu.
  4. Click on the "Eyedropper" tool.
  5. Move the cursor over the shaded cell. The tool will display the color of the shading.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"owyheerover" wrote:

I have added cell shading to a table cell in word. Now I would like to
repeat this color in another cell. But I cannot figure out what the current
color is.

The "Shading" tool does not display the current shading of the cell.

When the cell was first shaded, the color was then displayed in the
"recently used colors" list. But since closing word and reopening, this list
is blank.

How can I determine what the cell shading is, or copy the shading to another
cell?

If you selectt he cell, and then do Format Borders and Shading...
Shading tab, Word will tell you the shade being used in the current cell.
Just make sure to select cell(s) that all have the exact same colour.

To copy quickly from one cell to another, I believe you need a macro for
that. Do you want to go that way or just do it manually?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
owyheerover owyheerover is offline

For me, using Word 2007, the shading tab does not show the current color.
The conditions are
1) it is a custom color
2) close word and reopen the file.

You can see a picture at http://www.earthpoint.us/downloads/shading.jpg

--
Bill Clark
www.earthpoint.us

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"owyheerover" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The following will set the shading of the first table in a document to the
shading that is applied to the cell in the first column of the first row of
the second table in the document.

With ActiveDocument
.Tables(1).Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = .Tables(2).Cell(1,
1).Shading.BackgroundPatternColor
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"owyheerover" wrote in message
I have added cell shading to a table cell in word. Now I would like to
repeat this color in another cell. But I cannot figure out what the
current
color is.

The "Shading" tool does not display the current shading of the cell.

When the cell was first shaded, the color was then displayed in the
"recently used colors" list. But since closing word and reopening, this
list
is blank.

How can I determine what the cell shading is, or copy the shading to
another
cell?

Thanks.

--
Bill Clark
www.earthpoint.us

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:
If you selectt he cell, and then do Format Borders and Shading...
Shading tab, Word will tell you the shade being used in the current cell.
Just make sure to select cell(s) that all have the exact same colour.

If you've done one cell, you can select another cell and hit F4, to apply
the same shading.

Klaus

hks hks is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Linke View Post
"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:
If you selectt he cell, and then do Format Borders and Shading...
Shading tab, Word will tell you the shade being used in the current cell.
Just make sure to select cell(s) that all have the exact same colour.

If you've done one cell, you can select another cell and hit F4, to apply
the same shading.

Klaus
you can ctrl + c to cell padding which you want copy, or you block your cell padding after that copy..
and paste to your word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"owyheerover" wrote:

For me, using Word 2007, the shading tab does not show the current color.
The conditions are
1) it is a custom color
2) close word and reopen the file.

You can see a picture at http://www.earthpoint.us/downloads/shading.jpg

And if you click on "More Colours..."?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

It's too bad that W2007 is even more picky about giving up the color numbers
than W2003 is (you can't just have the cursor in the cell; the cell must be
selected, etc.). You've probably already noticed that as long as you are in
the same W2007 session that the color was chosen in, it will be highlighted
in either in the theme, standard colors, or recent colors sections of the
shading dropdown. In later sessions, go to the reveal formatting pane
(styles pane style inspector (does anyone see a use for this feature?)
button reveal formatting button€”or add the reveal formatting command to
your QAT) to get the color number.

PamC

owyheerover wrote:
For me, using Word 2007, the shading tab does not show the current color.
The conditions are
1) it is a custom color
2) close word and reopen the file.

You can see a picture at http://www.earthpoint.us/downloads/shading.jpg

I have added cell shading to a table cell in word. Now I would like to
repeat this color in another cell. But I cannot figure out what the current

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

Shading in a cell/table Denise Tables 0 December 18th 07 07:03 PM
Table cell shading M. Neves Tables 1 August 6th 07 06:40 PM
Word 2003 Table cell shading David Parry Watkins Microsoft Word Help 3 January 4th 07 07:35 PM
set shading of a table cell in Word with template i compute Microsoft Word Help 2 September 28th 06 10:55 AM
How do I auto copy data from cell in a word table to another cell. Nev New Users 1 February 4th 05 09:51 PM