Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Penny Penny is offline

Default Problem with custom table styles

I am creating a template in Word 2007. The normal font is Garamond 11pt. I
have created a custom table style, which has Arial 8pt font set (header row,
whole table, every font option I can find is set as Arial 8pt). But when I
apply the custom table style to table, it applies Garamond 11pt not Arial
8pt.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This was a problem in W2003 too, which I fixed for me by not setting fonts
in tables and applying paragraph styles instead. But the programmers have
tried to fix it in W2007 by establishing the style hierarchy--default font,
table style, paragraph style. That means that you set your body formatting
in the defaults and leave the normal style empty. If you do that, the fonts
you set in the table style will hold. So far, it has worked properly in my
tests. Please let us know how it works for you.

See the Word team's blog for more information:
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...perations.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

CORRECTED:
This was a problem in W2003 too (which I fixed by not setting fonts
in table styles and instead applying paragraph styles to table text). But
the programmers have
tried to fix it in W2007 by establishing the style hierarchy--*defaults*,
table style, paragraph style, etc. That means that you set your body
formatting
in the defaults and leave the normal style empty. If you do that, the fonts
you set in the table style will hold. So far, it has worked properly in my
tests. Please let us know how it works for you.

See the Word team's blog for more information:
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...perations.aspx

PamC

I am creating a template in Word 2007. The normal font is Garamond 11pt. I
have created a custom table style, which has Arial 8pt font set (header row,
whole table, every font option I can find is set as Arial 8pt). But when I
apply the custom table style to table, it applies Garamond 11pt not Arial
8pt.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Penny Penny is offline

I can more or less follow all this (thanks heaps Pam!) but a complicating
factor may be that while I'm working in 2007, my colleagues are using 2003,
so I am creating the template as a 2003 template. Does this change what I
need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the document is to be used in W2003, I suggest that you create a table
style that does not specify any fonts and and then use paragraph styles for
the table text. I generally make 4: table text, table headings, table
bullet1 and table bullet2. It's certainly less elegant than what you can do
in W2007, but it's still faster.

PamC