Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Hu Hu is offline

Default Formatting Table of Figures

I have a number of photographs in a document for which I want to create a
Table of Pictures (figures). Some pictures are portrait mode and I have
typed a "caption" below the picture. Some pictures are in landscape and
rotated 90 degrees. For these I have had to create a blank space as part of
the picture itself in which I have typed in a "caption" as part of the
picture and therefore oriented (rotated) 90 degrees as part of the picture.
I understand I can mark each picture as a Caption and create the Table of
Figures from that--but I don't want the label to appear or be printed with
with the Caption (the pictures I have designated as captions) and I don't
want the text of the caption in the Table of Figures to show a number. For
example, I have tried setting each picture with a different label but the
caption always includes number "1" as part of the caption containing the new
text I have assigned to the individual picture.

I hope I have made this clear.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For entries that shouldn't display in the document you can use TC fields,
which you can add to text via the Mark Table of Contents Entry dialog box
(press Alt+Shift+O to display the dialog box). See also
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hu" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You don't have to use the caption feature to insert your captions. Instead,
type the text you want for the figure title and then apply the Caption style
to it. When you want to insert a table of figures, make sure you choose
"none" for the caption label while on the table of figures tab. Word will
then collect everything in the Caption style for the TOF. (Sorry, if the
dialog and tab names are wrong. I'm using W2007. I know the "process" is the
same, but names and places may have changed from W2003.)

If you are interested, the field code for the TOF would look like this: {
TOC \h \z \t "Caption,1" \c }

PamC

Hu wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Hu Hu is offline

The problem I have with both these replies is that for a number of pictures
there is no "text"--the text is part of the picture and cannot be selected
apart from the entire picture. The reason I have to do some pictures this
way is as follows. Some pictures have the long axis horizontal (4-5 people
lined up next to each other. Because the document has the long axis
vertical, I have to rotate the picture 90 degrees so it will display better.
Were I not to rotate it, the constraints of the paper would "squish" it too
much in reducing it to fit the page. Since I can't find a way to type the
label underneath after the picture is rotated and pasted (I can only add a
white space underneath and as part of the picture and type the label into the
white space where it becomes a part of the picture). This leaves me with no
text that can be selected for a style, a caption etc, only a jpeg picture.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can add the label as a text box, frame, or table cell and rotate the
text in it. A caption in a text box, however, won't be seen by the Table of
Figures in Word 2003 or earlier.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hu,

I would have chosen to handle wide pictures by switching the page
orientation to landscape (via inserting section paired breaks). That way
you'd have no containers to deal with, and all captions could be handled the
same way.

Otherwise, I'd do as Susanne suggests: use a table and rotated type. All
captions could still be handled the same way.

Given that it's done your way, if a TC field could be attached to an image,
you could combine our two answers. Styles when you have text and TC fields
when you don't.

PamC

Hu wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Hu Hu is offline

Hu wrote:
[...]

This project is the first time I have ever tried to use Word's formatting etc features. Because of that I doubt I really understood the replies I received. The ones I attempted didn't seem to work.

Because the number of pictures was less than a full page, I just went ahead
and typed a picture ID on a line, used "periods" to take me out to the end
and then typed in page numbers. With a left alignment and then selecting a
part of the "periods separators" I then increased or decreased the character
separation so that the page numbers would be properly right aligned. the
page looks just like a Table of Figures would.

I appreciate the suggestions and only wish I knew more about Word to have
been able to use them. However what I ended up with will print in the final
product just as a "proper" Table of Figures
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You should still have used a right-aligned tab with a period leader (instead
of manually inserted periods) for your TOF listings; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

http://word.mvps.org