Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Renauda Renauda is offline

Default select fonts not printing bold

Why is bold font showing in print preview but its not printing bold? After
much messing around with it, one random line of bold font did print in bold,
but the other bold font didn't print bold. And its not just one font. Its
several fonts doing this. New issue I've never encountered. Any help would be
greatly appreciated! : )
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: select fonts not printing bold

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your fonts not printing bold. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check your printer settings: Make sure that your printer is set to print in "high quality" or "best" mode. Sometimes, printers will default to a lower quality setting, which can cause fonts to appear less bold.
  2. Check your font settings: Make sure that the fonts you're using are set to print in bold. To do this, select the text you want to print in bold, right-click on it, and select "Font" from the dropdown menu. In the Font dialog box, make sure that the "Bold" checkbox is selected.
  3. Check your document settings: If you're working with a document that was created in a different program or on a different computer, it's possible that the font settings are not compatible with your current setup. Try copying and pasting the text into a new document and adjusting the font settings there.
  4. Update your printer drivers: If none of the above solutions work, it's possible that your printer drivers are out of date. Visit the manufacturer's website to download the latest drivers for your printer.

I hope these tips help you resolve the issue!
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Renauda Renauda is offline

Oh my goodness, could it be that simple? Maybe for some fonts that is the
case. I guess I didn't know that some fonts do not have a bold
option...unless they show in bold as standard version from the start.
However, the mystery remains. Why does print preview show bold font if its
not available? And more mysterious is that in one simple word document it
will print one line of the bold text in bold, but the other lines of bold
font print do no print bold...and its the same font in the same document.

Thank you for responding, Suzanne. If you have any additional ideas I'd love
to hear them! : )

"Renauda" wrote in message
Why is bold font showing in print preview but its not printing bold? After
much messing around with it, one random line of bold font did print in
bold,
but the other bold font didn't print bold. And its not just one font. Its
several fonts doing this. New issue I've never encountered. Any help would
be
greatly appreciated! : )

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts

Some applications will synthesize a bold appearance, and you may even be
able to print it with specific printer settings, but for the most part, if
the font doesn't have a bold variant, regardless of what you see on the
screen, you won't get bold print. Beyond that, I'm hopelessly ignorant, so
I'm cross-posting this message to the word.printingfonts newsgroup, which
may result in a more authoritative answer.

http://word.mvps.org

"Renauda" wrote in message
Why is bold font showing in print preview but its not printing bold?
After
much messing around with it, one random line of bold font did print in
bold,
but the other bold font didn't print bold. And its not just one font.
Its
several fonts doing this. New issue I've never encountered. Any help
would
be
greatly appreciated! : )

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Character[_3_] Character[_3_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Some applications will synthesize a bold appearance, and you may

even be
able to print it with specific printer settings, but for the most

part, if
the font doesn't have a bold variant, regardless of what you see on

the
screen, you won't get bold print. Beyond that, I'm hopelessly

ignorant, so
I'm cross-posting this message to the word.printingfonts newsgroup,

which
may result in a more authoritative answer.

If bold is displayed, whether it's from a bold variant or a MS Word's
horrendous artificial bold or italic, it should print just as seen on
the screen.

It's more likely a printing options problem, a printer driver problem,
or a printer memory problem (unlikely).

Since printer drivers and their available options are unique to each
printer and operating system, I can only offer some very general
approaches.

Some printers/drivers have an option to 'print truetype as graphics'.
If yours does, toggle the setting to see if it makes a difference. You
might also go to your printer's website and download the latest
printer driver for your operating system, if you don't already have
the latest version.

In your Word document, is it possibly set to printing in draft mode
(Tools/Options/Print)?

Have you tried printing the document as the first thing after booting
up? It's possible that your computer was running out of resources -
although this used to result in corrupted on-screen displays as well.

It might help if you'd specify what Operating System you're using,
what version of Word, what printer, the version of the printer driver
you have, and the names of the fonts that are exhibiting the problem,
along with the names of some fonts that seem to be working properly.

That's all that comes to mind immediately.

- Character

-- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope,
Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Renauda"

"Renauda" wrote in message

Why is bold font showing in print preview but its not

printing bold?
After
much messing around with it, one random line of bold font did

print in
bold,
but the other bold font didn't print bold. And its not just

one font.
Its
several fonts doing this. New issue I've never encountered.

Any help
would
be
greatly appreciated! : )

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have never found that either Word or Publisher will actually print
synthesized bold. I thought there was a chance they might if you have
"Download TrueType fonts as soft fonts" or the like enabled in the printer
Properties, since that forces the printer to print what is displayed on the
screen, but I'm not confident even of that. I try to avoid using fonts that
don't have the full complement of B, I, BI except in specialized cases where
only a single display face is needed.

http://word.mvps.org

Bold fonts in tables Gabba Tables 3 July 13th 08 03:34 AM
how to select (and delete) a continuous bold line? Birte Microsoft Word Help 1 June 15th 08 01:17 PM
I select 1 word to 'bold' and Word2003 'bolds' the entire doc! xdru100 Microsoft Word Help 3 March 14th 08 11:24 PM
2003, select 1 line,bold, whole document bolds Word formating errors Page Layout 4 February 21st 05 07:47 PM
why does the whole page go to bold when I select Bold for the tit. Arthur McPhee Microsoft Word Help 7 December 13th 04 10:52 PM