Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Default How do I change a style from "Hide until used" to show it?

Heading 5 is marked "Hide until used" and I can't use it until I can see it.
How do I unhide it? Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I change a style from "Hide until used" to show it?

  1. Here's how you can unhide the "Hide until used" style in Microsoft Word:
  2. Open a new or existing Word document.
  3. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. In the "Styles" section of the ribbon, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Styles" pane.
  5. In the "Styles" pane, click on the "Options" button in the bottom left corner.
  6. In the "Style Pane Options" dialog box, make sure that the "All styles" option is selected in the "Select styles to show" dropdown menu.
  7. Under "Select how list is sorted," choose "Alphabetical" or "As Recommended" (depending on your preference).
  8. Click the "OK" button to close the "Style Pane Options" dialog box.
  9. Scroll down the list of styles in the "Styles" pane until you find the "Heading 5" style.
  10. Right-click on the "Heading 5" style and select "Modify" from the context menu.
  11. In the "Modify Style" dialog box, click on the "Format" button in the bottom left corner.
  12. Choose "Paragraph" from the dropdown menu.
  13. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, click on the "Line and Page Breaks" tab.
  14. Uncheck the "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" checkbox.
  15. Click the "OK" button to close the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  16. Click the "OK" button to close the "Modify Style" dialog box.

Now the "Heading 5" style should be visible and usable in your document!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

These settings are in the Manage Styles dialog, accessed from one of the
buttons at the bottom of the Styles task pane.

http://word.mvps.org

"Mike" wrote in message
Heading 5 is marked "Hide until used" and I can't use it until I can see
it.
How do I unhide it? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
These settings are in the Manage Styles dialog, accessed from one of the
buttons at the bottom of the Styles task pane.

You can also apply it quickly by typing "Heading 5" into the styles
dropdown.

In Word2007, that alone might be reason enough to put the styles dropdown on
the QAT...
I hate going through "Manage styles" for a simple thing like that.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

That's what I did as a work around, but I know that there is a Heading 5 style.

Suzanne's answer works, but it took me a while to find it on the 'Recommend'
tab of the Manage Styles dialog. Thanks both of you for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
These settings are in the Manage Styles dialog, accessed from one of the
buttons at the bottom of the Styles task pane.

You can also apply it quickly by typing "Heading 5" into the styles
dropdown.

In Word2007, that alone might be reason enough to put the styles dropdown on
the QAT...
I hate going through "Manage styles" for a simple thing like that.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you set the sort order to Alphabetical, it's much easier to find a given
style.

http://word.mvps.org