Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Puzzled Puzzled is offline

Default Closing document shuts down Word window completely, why?

When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document.
This must be a setting as I'm sure this wasn't always the case.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:22:01 -0700, Puzzled
wrote:

When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document.
This must be a setting as I'm sure this wasn't always the case.

I'll guess this in Word 2007, right?

In Word 2007, go to Office button Word Options Advanced Display. If the
"Show all windows in the taskbar" option is checked, then each open document has
only one X button in the upper right. Clicking that X when only one document is
open will close Word -- so don't do that! There are other ways to close the last
or only document without closing the program:

- Use the keystrokes Ctrl+W or Ctrl+F4.
- Use the Close command in the Office button menu.
- Right-click the Close command in the Office button menu and choose to add it
to the Quick Access Toolbar.

If the "Show all windows in the taskbar" option is checked, each document has a
smaller X below the program's X button. Click that instead.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Puzzled Puzzled is offline

I forgot to say I'm using 2003 and yes, at the top right-hand side there is
only one x.
When I use File - menu, this also closes me out of Word. Are you able to
suggest how I can remedy my problem using 2003? Many thanks.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Flemillo Flemillo is offline

Thanks Jay, you've solved half the problem with unchecking the "show all
windows in taskbar". I'm using Word 2007, and unlike in in earlier versions
of word, this doesn't allow you to used Alt-Tab between open documents
(obviously, because it's no longer on the task bar). To "toggle" between
documents, you have somehow locate the "switch windows" command on the View
tab of the ribbon, and/or add add it to the QAT. Yet another frustration from
our friends at Microsoft, when this all worked perfectly fine in Word 2003!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you must change from Windows in the taskbar, (and even if you don't) then
CTRL:+F6 and ALT+F6 are pre-configured to switch between open documents.
Alt+Tab switches between open applications. It was the same in Word 2003!

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.